P&H Easky

Looking for opinions about the P&H Easky. Any help would be appreciated

easky
?

More Info
More Info needed - skills, size, purpose…

easky information
Ok I am 210 lbs and 6 ft. I am looking for a good all around kayak that will allow me to grow as an efficient paddler. I have some space restraints and can’t really do a 17 ft kayak and so am looking at the 15ft range.

I need to be able to improve and learn new skills on the ocean and am looking for a kayak that will pretty much do it all reasonably well, knowing that there are always compromises. I also want to stay in the 1000(or so) range as I already know that as I grow, I will more than likely want to upgrade to better-much more expensive composite type kayak. If you think there may be a better compromise out there please tell me. I wil drive anywhere to demo a kayak and rent if necesary to try them out…I am really trying to do this right by experimenting as much as possible.

Really would like to have some info from people that own one and that use it on the ocean…not talking huge crossings, just shoreline to possibly 1 mile out? From some keys to keys exploration in florida etc.

thanks,

Paul

Easky
There are not many short sea kayaks for your size, the Easky and Orca from P+H is one of them. P+H quality is good. For around 1000 bucks it’s almost limited to PE boats.

Other 15’’ choices would be Prion Touryak, or the Tsunami and Cape Horn from Wilderness Systems.

Are you really limited to 15’’?

15 ft
I guess the question to answer about the 15 ft is do I realy need to go longer, necessitating radical changes in the storage that I have. If I do then I will. I need convincing that an extra foot or foot and a half will really make all the difference in performance, or is it simply because it can carry more stuff?

I have a 4 to 5 hundred dollar leeway with the boat but again don’t want to spend one third more for 5% more value.

The Tsunami is 14 feet, 1 less than the Easky. Cape Horns? I don’t know. Do you have any experience with them?

Thanks …I will look at the Prion Touryak also.

Paul

Seriously…
You really have to go out a paddle some of the boats on your list and others as well to really figure out what works for you. How a boat feels and performs for you is really relative to individual preference and skill level. That’s why some folks rave about a boat and others will be so-so about it.

Find a good outfitter where you can demo boats. Some places will apply some or of the demo fees to a purchase.

The truth of many of folks here is that the first boat is not the last. I hazard to say most folks have and will move up from the first boat within the first couple of years if they find they really like paddling. The first boat rarely is the end-all, perfect boat because skill level evolves.

sing

Try the Capella

– Last Updated: Jul-01-05 7:13 AM EST –

I demoed an Easky about a year ago and it made my consideration list. This past spring I wanted to try it again but they changed the hull. It is more of a cross between a touring boat and a rec boat (in that it is fairly flat bottomed -also has two keel "grooves" in it like some of the rec boats I have tried). The new boat felt like a brick to this minimally experienced paddler compared to the old hull. People recommended I look at the Capella and I eventually bought one as I thought it would allow me to grow into it. If you want a rec boat, I would save the money and buy a traditional rec boat. If you want a good touring/sea kayak, I would look at other boats.

I would also try to make your storage space fit your boat rather than the other way around. If you buy a shorter boat than you really want, you may regret it everytime you paddle as you look forward to the next boat. I have two 16.5' boats in my living room right now -I practice what I speak. (I will try to get the rack and the boats in my tiny garage ~16' 10" sometime in the next few weeks)

Disclaimer: I know more about what I don't know about this sport than I do about what I know. I do know that I love getting out there and learning -just wish I had more time to get out on the water.

3hrTour

thanks
Your description of the

Easky was exactly the type of commentary I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Scratch the Easky and look onward.

Paul