P&H Quest / Impex Force 4 / Explorer???

Why you have a boat

– Last Updated: Jan-20-08 6:48 PM EST –

One of the reasons to choose a boat is to have one that will support advancing skills. The NDK Explorer happens to be a great boat for that. The Nordkapp LV is a good boat for that too, just one that sets the bar higher.

Another reason is to have a boat that is maximally sexy in certain conditions. Unless you can control the weather and marine conditions, that takes multiple boats.

You have to decide why you want a boat. The boat of the week approach isn't going to resolve anything if you haven't figured out why you want it in the first place.

"Get one you can see, smell and taste."
John and CoolDoctor are right. The only way to be sure that your Explorer is okay is to buy one you can thoroughly examine and test.

There are quite a few around the East Coast. It should not be hard to access one or some to consider.

If you insist on ordering one – be certain to order from a dealer you know and trust. We got our NDK boats from Tom Bergh because we knew that Tom would take care of any issues with the boats. Most NDK dealers I know would do the same, however there are one or two out there whose reputations are less than steller.

I have paddled with Matt
Very inquistive even in person.

Gear vs. Paddling Focus

– Last Updated: Jan-20-08 8:31 PM EST –

In reference to a comment above about gear vs. paddling...if you think I am obsessive about gear then you have no idea how obsessive I am about paddling! Much more so than about boats...trust me.

I am pretty obsessive about paddling. I have asked just as many questions about the finer points of technique and practice refining my technique all the time and in increasing my knowledge of all subjects directly or indirectly related to paddling.

Believe it or not but I actually put together PowerPoint presentations for my own reference. So far have one on technique, navigation, incident management, group leadership and trip planning, rescues and towing, and am going to put together one on weather and on first aid. Also have put together an extensive skills training plan and other things focused on everything other than equipment. I am actually thinking about making it all into a book...I already have the outline done. Would be focused on transitioning from 4 star to 5 star level skills which is the focus of my current studies and efforts. Don't know if I'll ever take the assessment, but certainly think that the skills required are worth pursuing.

I am very particular...about everything I am passionate about.

I think that sticking with the Explorer is probably my best bet and be done (hopefully with my boat quest...b/c frankly it is becoming a real PIA).

The Explorer is not everything that I want in a boat, and is not perfect, but as I have said before it is pretty darn solid all around. Furthermore it is a boat that I feel comfortable with in any condiitons no matter how bad.

Having multiple boats...that does have its advantages. On the other hand I am afraid that if I get a surf ski that my sea kayak would just feel like a dog. Same for the surf boat.

A 16 foot play boat is fun...I have had a couple. But they are not as good an all-arounder, and (despite what some might say) I think I am pushing the upper weight limits for optimal performance in a boat like an Avocet. Plus, when I had both an 18 foot and 16 foot boat I always had trouble deciding which was the best to paddle on a given day. Having one boat makes that decision a lot easier.

The Explorer may not be playful, but it is a suitable play boat really believe it or not. It does quite well in tide races, and surfs really well (for a sea kayak).

My paddling varies a lot from flat water, to choppy windy days on the bay, to surfing, to distance paddling, to skills work, to tidal races, camping, etc. The Explorer can handle all of these tasks quite nicely.

I did get a kick out of Salty's comments above about the graduate school project...but no I actually am obsessive! Just ask my wife. She regrets the day I first got into sea kayaking...really regrets it...really.

Matt

Hey Matt
You still have your dogs.

Actually
She’s sticking around…just had to find her something to do while I go paddling…so she is now pregant with our first child…a son. I still feel I’m a little too young for kids at 35, but my wife didn’t really feel the same. Only took a month of trying (unfortunately), but as I told my wife I guess I must have some “strong paddlers”.

He will no doubt be a paddler some day. Convinced my wife to go with the nautical theme in his room too. I am starting to condition him early.

Baby is due in May. I kind of screwed that one up, as that is prime paddling time! Oh well.

Matt

Congrats!
Definately puts a change on things. Are you going to be as anal about diaper cream as you are with gear?

yeah…
Maybe I should send an email to the Santa Cruz wet nurse!

Congratulations, Matt!
On your first child due in May. You may be surprised how much less important paddling will become. On the other hand, it could just be the start of the search for the perfect tandem for a child.

Bob

Yes, I know. I’ve forgotten what he…
…didn’t like about the full-size Nordkapp. If he’s going back to the Exp., maybe he should reconsider the full-size Nordkapp.

UNCLE! UNCLE!
Matt, I for one have already seen how obsessed you are with paddling, not just kayak particulars.

Anybody else remember Matt’s “Skills to Work On” list? That was the thread where someone accused him of having OCD.

I have to admit it IS kind of funny to watch. No harm done or intended. And the rest of us get to see some honest critiques of each boat as he falls in and out of love with them!

Besides, it’s winter…I can’t wait to go paddling again…in ANY kayak.

Okay
but I got dibs on the placenta.

woopwoop
congrats, this will be a very rich time

You Hang on to That Woman
You know she’s a saint for putting up with your obsessions.

Hi Matt,
My guess is that you have no idea how compelling your son will be, and it won’t feel bad at all to let paddling fit itself around your home life for a while. They’ll be enough room for both. Actually, when the time gets closer, maybe you could start a thread on balancing home, work and paddling. That’d be interesting! Anyway, you know who’ll suffer the most with the arrival of your baby: the dogs, which will go from surrogate children to, well, dogs. Best get them ready beforehand.

Now to the perfect paddle?
Seems that having picked the right boat you now have just enough time before son is born to go on the quest for the perfect paddle. Paddles have to be as important as the boat and deserve the same attention…don’t you think? Seriously.

To feed that obsessive/compulsive trait may I suggest getting one of those little black Moleskin notebooks, always have it with you, and write in it all impresions/relevant data immediately after each paddle, boat inspection, or whatever as well as plans, etc. Makes for enlightening reading after awhile and helpful. I am constantly scribbling in mine. Food for those PPs.

While there is much value in spending time paddling one boat or category of boat, I also think there is value in spending time paddling different types of boats since you learn things you might not otherwise and you may find some things transfer over which in turn makes for a better all around paddler. Of course I suspect it may be hard enough to spend “enough” time in just the Explorer after May. Just remember that parenting is one of if not the greatest adventure.

answer to the perfect paddle question:
custom fit wrc or spruce GP

No you don’t, Matt…
…don’t even think about taking my new Pnet moniker…though you do hands down trump my traits!

:wink:

Maybe just let your child
be whatever they naturally gravitate to be? Maybe expose them to things, but let them follow their own passions… Just an idea?? Kid may not like paddling,may love ballet?

it was a piss-poor peeing at that