P&H Scorpio LV versus MV, foot room?

We have a P&H Scorpio LV which fits both my wife and I well - except that I have to offset the heels of my feet (as they won’t fit next to each other with balls of my feet on the foot pegs). We want to get a second Scorpio and are wondering whether anyone here has tried both the LV & MV boats and can provide some info regarding foot-room between the two? I weigh 155-160 lbs (72kg) and don’t want to go to the HV model (as, in my experience, I get blown around by the wind relatively more in higher volume boats that are designed for heavier paddlers). I also think that when a paddler is much lighter than the boat is designed for - that the boat doesn’t perform as designed. Mainly looking for answer to the foot-room question…

I wear US Size 10-1/2 shoes (True size) although I sometimes have to buy size 11-12 athletic shoes made in China (size inflation I believe)…

I can BARELY get my heels next to each other with VERY thin-soled shoes on - but would like a bit more range in the shoes that I can wear.

As always - we sure appreciate the great advice we always get here! Thanks!

Steve,
SW Ohio, USA

Steve. I cannot speak to the boat sizes. I have size 14 which greatly limits my choices in kayaks which lean toward too much volume. I currently paddle a Valley Q. I removed the foot pegs and installed foam on the front bulkhead. This provided additional foot room and positions and allows for far more general comfort and secure bracing.

I suggest you remove the pegs and try using the bulkhead instead.

1 Like

Thanks Andy,

I can try that - but I’m thinking that as we move towards the bow the hull is reducing In width. Since width is my issue - versus not having the foot pegs further away from the seat - It’s not jumping out at me whether that will help. It will be easy to remove the pegs though and see whether I can get my feet in a position where my heels are both the same distance forward and not offset. If that’s possible then I can add the foam footrests.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Steve

1 Like

Steve,
I paddle the P&H models extensively. The Scorpio MV will accommodate your shoe size very well as I fit into it with my 11-11.5’s depending on drysuit booties or not.

You are absolutely correct about the HV not being a good candidate.

Let me know if I should send a Scorpio MV to SW Ohio.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]q
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

1 Like

Thanks for the info Marshall - we appreciate it!

If you don’t mind: How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

We have a P&H dealer near us who puts on local symposiums - so we work with them - but we appreciate your offer to supply us with a boat. We like to keep local kayak outfitters healthy and available.

Thanks again!
Steve

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year

1 Like

Thank you for supporting your local kayak specialty store! When I wrote, I hadn’t looked up the local dealer.

FYI I have a 33” inseam, 34” waist 195lbs. 6’ Dense lankier build.

See you on the water,
Marshall
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

1 Like

Thanks for the weight/inseam info Marshall - that’s appreciated. You are about an inch and a half taller than me and have a couple of inches longer inseam.

Steve

You’ll have even more foot room then. Go get a Scorpio MV, while supplies last. The later applies to our new supply chain/demand reality. Have fun with your Post-Christmas present. :sunglasses:

See you on the water,
Marshall
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

1 Like

Thanks Marshall,

We don’t typically get up your way - but if we ever do we’ll be sure to stop in.

Thanks again for all of the advice and fit details!

Steve

1 Like

Approximate Hull measurements near the footpegs (at same distance forward of seat [LV as shown in recently added images below {with seat in factory-installed location}]).

LV, Taken by me:

Interior hull depth, at center = 10”
Interior hull width, at top of foot-peg rails = 17-1/2”

MV, Supplied by kayak dealer - from measurements they took:

Interior hull depth at center = 10-7/8”
Interior hull width at top of foot-peg rails = 18”

2 Likes