Pack canoes are Kayak wannabes

I wondered why this one popped up. The OPer decided they just had to start a fight, some tried to correct the course but to no avail. Can’t fix blindly stubborn. But it is old and done.

The simple answer is that a pack canoe can weigh 8 pounds, rolls up and fits in a pack. Few other boats can do that.

Maybe a pack RAFT, but I know of no pack canoe that weighs 8 pounds and rolls up in a pack.

1 Like

This thread is not being improved by a rebirth. A PACK canoe is a noncollapsible one person canoe paddled w a double bladed paddle. PAK canoe is a foldable boat sold by the vendor of the same name.

I am fairly certain that with correct spelling, everyone above is speaking correctly about the boats.

Trolling sure works well on this particular lake…

2 Likes

A lot of people are stuck at home, some bored and some lonely. Resurrecting long morbid strings doesn’t hurt anybody. Sometimes new info turns up in them. Other times, not. Shrug.

(BTW, nobody may care but the smallest PakBoats folding Pak Canoe weighs 45 pounds.)

(And, if any of the housebound and bored are interested in something to do (besides reviving “zombie” forum threads), DIYPackrafts.com sells make it yourself kits for packrafts weighing under 5 pounds:

https://www.diypackraft.com/shop/merchandise/kits/diy-packraft-kit-skeena/)

On a trip on the Missouri in MT we leap frogged an experienced group in sea kayaks, and shared two camps with them. I was taken by how fast and elegant they were… unfazed by high winds. I liked my canoe… allowed me to bring my son and a large cooler (which the kayakers were the beneficiaries of), but I have no doubts if the winds had been different or if I had needed to really make time , the kayaks were far superior.

Different strokes… would like to paddle all that is out there.

There are pack canoes suitable for expeditions in the North that fit in an airplane and your hall closet.

Yes, PakBoat and Ally are two of the most frequently used folding canoes for fly-in bush paddling. I bought my first PakBoat kayak from a guide who used those and the canoes for wilderness fishing trips on wild rivers in Patagonia and Alaska, including on up to Class III rapids.

Competent boats:

1 Like

I resemble that remark. I have owned canoes, sea kayaks, and that is why I am currently waiting for delivery of my Swift Cruiser 14.8. For me, and where I paddle that is the ultimate boat.

1 Like