Packing a Blue Barrel

How do you pack your barrel? I’ve got a 30L barrel that fits in my portage packs, but I’m not sure if that’s the best way to go or not. This is for solo trips, so every inch of pack room is important, as is weight.

Why bother with the barrel? That just adds more heft.
We use NRS waterproof “Bills Bags” You could use any “or equal”

@JackL said:
Why bother with the barrel? That just adds more heft.
We use NRS waterproof “Bills Bags” You could use any “or equal”

Because mice and rodents can chew through them and they provide no protection from getting squashed on portages.

Barrels are a little better for small critter food protection.

Some pack by day and some by meal… I prefer to barrel dive and handle things each day!Or I am just too lazy… I use a barrel harness by Ostrom

I have had a little too much food to fit in 30 liters and used a bag similar to Bills for the excess… Raccoon and bag…no contest

I’ve moved (evolved?) from a few large packs in canoes to many small bags in a kayak. If I were to go back to canoes, I’d keep the small bags and put them into a larger one or two for containment and portaging. Nothing sucks more than having to pull everything out of your bag to get something at the bottom; especially when it’s raining. Bags within bags make this much less of a chore or problem.

Anyone seen the barrel pack from Cooke Custom Sewing?

I’ve been using Bear Vaults, but they are heavy and don’t ride well without a flat bottom pack. I do plan to use interior bags. Ziplocks inside of LW colored seal line bags. I like the size of the 30L barrel, and can always pack it with other gear once the groceries disappear.

@Loon_Watcher said:
Anyone seen the barrel pack from Cooke Custom Sewing?

Yes. Dan makes good stuff… But my I got my Ostrom Harness long before those were available. The CCS stuff is durable and its a good price

I pack like Jack - two big dry bags and a cooler.

Back in my boat

One bag has my tent and sleeping bag, the other has my clothes and food. My cloths and sleeping bag are in a smaller dry bags with a relief valves so they don’t take up so much room, but have extra protection. Other items are in mesh bags (mess kit, toiletries, etc.). I try to be organized, but I can still never find what I am looking for without emptying the bag. I learned one thing the hard way - the rain tarp always goes on top.

I have never used a Bear Vault or barrel, and have never had a problem. I have also never been anywhere where losing my food would mean going hungry for a few days (or longer).

@eckilson said:
I have never used a Bear Vault or barrel, and have never had a problem. I have also never been anywhere where losing my food would mean going hungry for a few days (or longer).

Sorry to preach, and lead the thread off topic, but it’s important to note that “a fed bear is a dead bear”. Separating food from wild animals isn’t just about keeping it for yourself. It’s about keeping it away from them.

Sometimes its wise not to use barrels or York Boxes… We did use a York Box on the Bowron Circuit… And wish we had not. Reason was that you are allowed to cart your boat but your packs in the boat must be under 60 lbs. A York Box is 8 lbs. The barrel I don’t know but a 60 liter must be the same. That makes a BIG difference when you have to carry everything over 60 lbs on your back. Bear lockers are supplied at each portage and each campsite.

As far as bears barrels are no guarantee not to be broken into… Canisters are a different material and shape. However in some 30 years of camping in bear country I have never had a problem with a bear. I may not even if I had carried in grocery bags.
But I have had plenty of trouble with gnawing things see above.
The purpose of separating food from you is more to keep you away from the animal attracted to the food… That was told to me by a Yellowstone ranger. There have been reports of people trying to argue with a bear physically over food and it never is good.for the human.

Bear lockers are great for food storage. Not so for small creature avoidance. On the first day of a ten day trip on Lake Superior there was a bear locker . We used it of course. We also put the bladder of fine box wine in it…
The next morning there was a gnawed wine bladder. Presumably the mice had a 3 liter hangover.

For packing the blue barrel in the canoe I’ve contact cemented a minicell curved wedge to the hull bottom in a position that will hold it tight to a thwart. That keeps it from rolling around and I can tie it in later if I need to.

My main gripe with barrels is that you end up with a lot of wasted space in them unless everything you pack is soft. There used to be a company (cant remember the name) that made nylon or canvas trays with handles that you could stack in them which made it easier to get stuff out. They also sold the harness for them.

@Paddlinpals said:
My main gripe with barrels is that you end up with a lot of wasted space in them unless everything you pack is soft. There used to be a company (cant remember the name) that made nylon or canvas trays with handles that you could stack in them which made it easier to get stuff out. They also sold the harness for them.
Ostrom

now carried by
https://recreationalbarrelworks.com/

yes still
available