paddle holder

Hi. Does anyone know of, or heard of a kayak paddle holder? I suspect it would consist of a couple of U-shaped things that could be permanently mounted to the deck just forward of the cockpit. Seems like it would be very convenient to have a place to quickly set your paddle when you need both hands free. Looking for a product or manufacturer name. And yes, I’m relatively new to the sport, and still learning!

Thanks,

Steve

paddle clips
available at most paddling stores (I actually got mine at gander mountain) they are small, iexpensive, and hold your paddle securely. I mounted mine on the port side just below the cockpit.

Clips bend and break…
…and things tend to get snagged on them.

A better, more versatile and more durable solution is to make a paddle leash out of a $3 sail tie and keep it coiled around the shaft when you don’t need it. If you need it as a leash, it uncoils in a snap and you slip it on your wrist. If you just want to park your paddle, you uncoil the leash, slip the end ball under a deck bungee and drop the paddle in the water.

You can see an example of this leash setup in my Kayak Gear album on Webshots at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom

If you don’t want to make your own, Campmor sells a similar leash for ~$9.

On Line
Ocean Kayak has them. For a sit inside kayak, they can be installed with nuts and bolts, but on an SOT they may require pop (blind) rivets, which require pop rivet gun.

Blind rivets are handy, but don’t get too crazy.

Paddle 'Biners Also?
Hey Brian,

Does that go for paddle 'biners as well? I’ve kept my NRS paddle 'biner on my deck rigging for some time, use it once in a while to hold my paddle, but never had any problems. I figured it avoided the whole “leash or not to leash” issue (or maybe not).

Lou

Had them, but
have to agree with Brian. They do break, and can cause trouble with re-entries and snagging other gear.

I used them on an SOT (Harmony clips) - but mounted just BEHIND the cockpit (after busting knuckles and breaking one off). The most forward was behind my hip, the other a bout 18" aft of that. I could easily get the paddle in and out in that spot - AND have no worry of hitting them or getting hung up on them getting on and off. It takes some experimentation to get a good spot - particularly with a feathered paddle.

If you’re one of those guys that has all kinds of stuff on deck all the time - you may like clips.

If you plan to spend any time in more than flat water - go with some sort of paddle leash. Many options for those. Personally I prefer something attached to the boat - not me (wrist or otherwise). That way I can use the paddle as a backup to keep hold of the boat if I exit, and have my hands/arms completely free if I want to put the paddle down. I also use mine to tie the boat off occasionally (rarely use it for a paddle leash to be honest - don’t need to put the paddle down very often - but it’s always there on deck).

Paddle holder
I installed 2 Stainless steel pad eyes on either side of my cockpit. I attach a small 12" line to one of them and when I need to secure the paddle they become very accessable. They also work well as a tempory teather to another kayak post or rock. Bumpers are suggested to prevent damage to your boat if your teathering for a long period of time.

Capt. Will

Bungee Cord Paddle Holder
Old Town sells a paddle holder which conforms to the side of your kayak so you don’t have the protrusions/hangups associated with clips.

It consists of 2 of “J” hooks, 2 deck hooks and a couple feet of bungee cord as well as the S/S screws and nylon nuts. Sells for under $10.00 but I purchased the same parts for under $5.00 at a kayak shop in Raleigh. Installed in less than 30 minutes.

SYOR

Cal

Try This…
Slide a paddle blade under the deck line way up near the bow. Rest the other blade on the deck near the cockpit… opposite side of the boat as the forward blade. I wouldn’t rely on this in wild water, but it works for me. No cost. No drills. No glue.

Actually…
… Since I switched to Greenland paddle, and have the decks rigged to accommodate, I don’t have to think about this much at all anymore. I can stow on deck about as fast as anything else. Still find the leash handy to have and a good option when things pick up.

My earlier post referred to clips on an SOT - that only had perimeter lines because I added them. Original poster didn’t specify boat - so some options won’t be available. Some boats have nothing on the stock setup.

Paddle holder

– Last Updated: Dec-27-04 4:44 PM EST –

I keep a spare paddle on the front deck, and when I want to put my main paddle down without losing it, I slide the blade under the shaft of the spare in front. This holds it in place and it is easily accessible...

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=212589810&photoID=212595830&security=CfuSRr

If it works for you, sure
I don’t use paddle biners, but I do have carabiners on the grab loops of my skirts.

your link only works if you are owner
of the album! At least that’s what happened to me.

2 methods
I’ve used both the paddle leash and the bungee paddle park. The leash works great in a sit on top and can be made for a song out of 3 feet of elastic cord, some velcro, wire crimps and a mini carabiner. I found it cumbersome to use in a sit inside and use the bungee paddle parks from Old Town. It securely holds the paddle out of the way at the side of the cockpit whenever I need both hands free. Here’s where you can get it. http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/catalog.php?fr_sw=0&igroup_id=103&section_id=5&PHPSESSID=164eb3f40092e83690b062240dc50070

Paddle leash concerns
If you’re paddling in rough river water, be concerned about use of a paddle leash. It’s like carrying a strainer with you. They’re fine for flatwater, and less fine but probably still OK for deep water where there’s nothing other than your neck for the paddle leash to get caught on. But when the paddle gets caught on a submerged rock, your neck is between the boat and the paddle, and the boat is being pulled by current, you’d be wishing that you were more willing to lose your paddle. For a short while anyway.

• Big D

Spring Creek Magazine
Don’t know if they’ve got an on line catalog but in their reg. catalog they show two different types which should give you some ideas.

BROOM CLIPS FROM THE HARDWARE STORE
While it’s true that if improperly placed, and sometimes even when properly placed, things can snag on them, they’re still the preferred way to go for many paddlers and most yakfishers.

I don’t want a paddle floating about the boat on a tether -even IF it IS a short one, when fishing -I want my boat as clean as possible.

And if you get them in nylon, they’re virtually impossible to break, as opposed to the cheaper, less flexible plastic ones that I have indeed have broken -but only in storing and stacking the fleet, not on the water.

There are a number of flexible loop alternatives that might work for many, but the clips allow me to stow the paddle with one hand, and to similarly retrieve it, just about without thinking about it.

For me, clips make more sense, and make it easier for me to fish or just laze about when I choose NOT to

Paddle On!

-Frank in Miami

Spray skirt with paddle park…
One of my skirts is a Kokatat Deluxe Offshore skirt, and is equipped with a “paddle-park” on the deck. I’ve found that it works quite well, and it avoids the hazards of a leash and dosen’t require that you drill holes in your boat. It keeps your paddle accessible, and avoids the risk of your paddle snagging on your stuff if you need it in a hurry. Several of the Kokatat skirts offer this option, and I personally find it to be quite handy.

Those are some of the reasons…
…that I don’t recommend leashing the paddle to the boat, but rather leashing the paddle to the paddler with a system that allows the leash to be removed very easily and quickly.

Many of the wooden kayak builders…
… use a “paddle park” similar to the one designed by Joe Greenley at Redfish Kayaks:

http://www.redfishkayak.com/paddlepark.htm

Kurt Mauer installed a park beside his cockpit. I really like this one:

http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi/noframes/read/103590

I’m sure there are numerous ways to fashion parks like these for most every application.

Glenn