Paddle leash?

Have any videos of those conditions?

Nope. Try youtube Lake Superior

I’ve seen those steep wave/short period conditions along the central east coast of Lake Michigan in the winter as well.

I know what the Great Lakes can be I raced many offshore boats in a few of them.

I surfed waveskis for quite a few years and always used a paddle tether. You risk having the paddle torn through your hands if you attempt to restrain a loose ski by holding on to a tethered paddle. You’d always grab something more substantial like the foot straps or better still perfect your eskimo rolling. My point is that a paddle tether is just to keep your paddle near your craft.

I’ve used a paddle leash quite a bit. I sort of forced myself out of the habit for upper level certification stuff. I found that it’s not always about what’s allowed per written policy. It can be about what a trainer believes. A trying not to make waves approach. One day more recently, I had a realization that I had taken a few split second risks with my paddle, and I got to thinking that I really should start using a leash regularly again.
I’ve always liked attaching my leash to my lifejacket. But the paddle acting as an anchor to prevent a kayak from blowing away too fast seems like it has merit. I prefer a simple straight bungee. The coils I had weighed several ounces more than a straight bungee. I have heard in the surfski world that coiled leg leashes should be replaced very regularly, as they become prone to breaking with age. The weight savings between the two is worth hundreds of dollars in the paddle selection world. That choice became very simple for me.
I roll my kayaks regularly. A paddle leash has never factored into that - makes no difference. I once got caught in a big break where I ended up out of my kayak and surfaced holding only one end of the paddle, with the leash wrapped tightly around my neck. It occured to me immediately and without panic to bring the paddle around my head to release it. It was attached to my lifejacket, so no extra pressure or pulling from the boat. It’s an unlikely thing to happen, but sea kayaks do erratic stuff caught in a dumping break. So I started removing the leash for surf landings.

1 Like

Not sure why you asked then. Surely you’ve seen it for yourself.

If you were in that type of water. Otherwise no need to worry about it. Like having a heavy winter coat in Key West.

Well that was the most confusing conversation I’ve had lately.

1 Like

I always use a leash when paddle surfing or rockplaying. I have had the paddle stripped from me several times in breaking waves. Without a paddle, it’s a matter of time (more like split second) before going over. I reached for the leash, yanked and had the paddle back in hand and rolled up. I don’t go in surf without a leash.

sing

Fair enough, and I won’t go in surf with one. I think that about sums up the 2 sides of this topic. :smiley: I’d rather live to swim to shore than die 50 or 150 yards from land with a paddle leash wrapped around my neck. Both approaches have their merits and risks and everyone will make their own choice.

I also usually carry a spare paddle on deck which theoretically could get ripped off by waves, but never has been.

That’s about right of a lot of the topics here. Make your decision based on your research, experience and skills. Live or die by those.

I carry a spare as well on longer paddles. I did have a paddle half come out in surf. Luckily, I saw it (why I have reflective tape over my paddles) and was able to retrieve before it got away. I am going to go with Raisin’s suggestion of including a “olive cleat” to secure the spare paddle.

Fine on a lake, not on a river.

1 Like

I use a coiled type leash fastened to the boat. I figure as long as I hold on to the paddle or the boat, I have both.

Never had an entanglement issue. I put the excess length under a front bungee, so no noise from it hitting the kayak or spray skirt.

The leash could be easily cut if need be. Monitor its condition, as these leashes become brittle after a few years and can break.

I generally would not be out in conditions where there is the possibility of being rolled multiple times.

2 Likes