Paddle making 101 lessons

I’m working down my first composite blank.10 pieces of wood glued togeter. Pine, mahogany,maple. Been using a power planer. Got out the spokeshave I inhereted but had never used. Won’t use it this time either except for the loom, which is pine. Blade grains run in 2 directions.

Someone mentioned that.The power planer doesn’t care.

The spokeshave should work great on the pure pine blank.

FWIW…
Edge tools generally require a keener blade on soft woods than on hard woods – soft woods (like pine) tend to rip under a dull blade. I just mention than fwiw…

I find it curious that you’d use a weak wood like pine for the “loom” (shaft). Was that to keep the weight down? Or just practicing on low cost wood to learn how to shape a paddle? No offense meant… just askin’… RK

Yes, to reduce the weight and cost.

– Last Updated: Aug-07-08 1:43 PM EST –

And my wood store had no WRC .I glued two clear 1 x 2 together. I had some excess, so I did my best to break it by stomping on it with my 235 lbs.No way.I think it will be tough enough.
Tripp made Sea-tec a GP out of pine and he hasn't been able to break it, so that is a good recommendation also.

Pine varies a lot in strength. Depends
on the species, and under what conditions the tree grew. Some successful SE paddle makers have used yellow pine for laminations in whitewater paddles. Would not be my choice, but when you’ve got a lot of paddles to make, you consider what suitable local wood is affordable.

Why don’t you make two at the same time
and practice on mine.

Always grateful &

Paddlin’ on

Richard

I am making two at once.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565155907BeMSkD

Well hurry up
I’m 2 1/2 hours away.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

Affordable local wood
Around here that would be mostly Coconut Palm, and waterlogged flotsam. 'Fraid I’ll have to stick with the imported stuff.

I’m not sure you can afford
a String-built paddle.

I can afford to borrow one.

What else could I expect from
a guy who paddles a rec boat?And eats beenie Weenies.

Great memories & fun times