Paddle performance question

-- Last Updated: May-26-12 11:06 PM EST --

I was the person chosen to return back across the lake to get the pickup to ferry kayaks back due to 35mph winds and some heavy waves. I was paddling straight into the wind with 2-3 foot waves quartering into me. I was using an Adventure Technology, Ergo T-4, (4"X 28" composite blade). I had terrible fluttering and air cavitation on the blades, which has never happened prior. I switched to my spare paddle, a Carlisle Magic and the issue stopped. In Kansas wind is an every day issue, but this had never happened before. The paddle was not damaged upon checking when I got into shore.
My question is, should I look for a more conventional Euro paddle, (wider blade) to deal with wind issues. I can only afford 1 paddle a year so I am looking for some input.
My boat is an Inuit 14.5, I am 6' tall and use a pretty steep stroke angle, and a 230cm length. I am looking for something under $200, and I have become partial to bent shaft paddles with adjustable feathering.

The Best Paddle for Wind?
Try a Greenland paddle. You can get a custom made, light weight piece of art for about $200.

Cadence over blade size
Especially important paddling into a headwind. Huge blades make it harder to increase cadence, smaller blade surfaces make it easier. GP as suggested works for many, though you do have to learn a slightly different paddle stroke to get the most out of it.

What feather angle do you use?
Were both paddles the same length and same feather angle?

Yes… Learning
The poster’s profile says he’s changing his mindset from ‘muscle’ to ‘skills’.

Paddles are like Bicycle Gears
You may want “spare” paddle sets to deal with dynamic

weather conditions and situations.

An adjustable length and adjustable feather angle

might be the ticket for one all-around winner.

Spinning aka Cadence can help considerably and

doing it with a heavy warclub can be exhausting.

Amen
I carry two GPs. An ‘upwind’ with significantly less surface area than my ‘downwind’. Big and little chainrings for sure.

Both paddles 230,
but different angles, 45 degree with straight shaft (this is only feather setting) and 30 degree with bent shaft.

Upon reflection I may have gone back to a death grip trying to dig in. So the entire issue was probably caused by focusing on keeping a high stroke rate, and not blade control. The crappy carpenter blaming his tools.

I really like my bent shaft paddle, it looks like I just have a lot more practice to do