Paddle storage-pics

He talked me into a Full Tour that stresses my bum shoulder, but I’ve let several other people use it and they love it.

Hopefully he has fulfilled the orders he was paid for but never delivered.

I made these years ago. They seldom leave the wall.

The canoe paddle almost turned my Rapidfire over. I had never heard of in water recovery.
I’ve used the Aleut but prefer my Wind Swift.
They are there so I can remember I used to be a Paddler.

Paddles displayed on a wall are artwork. Especially nice to look at during winter snowstorms and recall summer days of dancing, sparkling water.

Here is the ONNO paddle that needs repairing.

I have 3 Wing paddles, the broken one is the third one and my favorite. The first was the longest Wing, second was shorter, third shorter still, 205 cm and smaller blades The third paddle hit my sweet spot.

How did that happen?

On a trip to Maine, I stopped at Dougd’s house and slept in my SUV. I had my paddles in a case and took them out of the car to make room. I put them on the roof rack. Next morning I forgot all about them and started heading to Maine, about 15 miles from Doug’s, it dawned on me. Turned around and retraced my steps. Found the case in the middle of the road. Someone had driven over it.

If you have one blade of a kayak paddle weigh more than a few tenths of an ounce more than the other, you can feel it. {more so with a performance geared paddle} If that was a canoe/single blade paddle then things would be different. Looks like a replace, not a repair.

Bummer…

I thought that looked like a car ran over it. CF is tough but not that tough.

That’s not how it works. Once a paddler always a paddler. I don’t have a motorcycle right now but I’m sure I’m a biker.

2 Likes

You are right Tom. At some point the activity becomes a state of mind , or vice versa.

I put some shaker pegs into a board and hang canoe paddles between the pegs.

2 Likes

(upload://2SZsOutAjGG8aQ86ulgnDhpqjai.jpeg) Grab a paddle sign and paddle rack

I have some balanced on thwarts on 10 of the canoes hanging in our garage. More are in similar location in my loafer’s shed. Two home made paddle racks are full. Multiple, lesser paddles are scattered throughout the house; mostly standing in corners. Have a 5 gallon bucket in garage for of “beaters” & “loaners”.
3 of them are strictly wall hangers in living room area with my collection of vintage, canoe seatbacks.

Wife gives me update of total on occasion; especially sweeping and dusting days…I pretend to listen…

1 Like

I have a paddle over my garage door that says:
“Paddler’s Welcome. Relatives by appointment.”

2 Likes

Garage pic is a mass manufacture wood coat rack I found/inherited from who knows where - the pegs are spaced pretty darn well for paddles >6in width. Other pic is a newer homemade rack for my nicer solid wood paddles; the garage rack is now just the synthetics and laminates.

2 Likes

Nothing fancy. Keep them in a bag ready to go.

1 Like

That’s a nice case for two piece GP, but I wouldn’t leave it where it’s visible. If someone sees it and thinks there’s a firearm in there, they’re more likely to break in and steal it.

1 Like

3 Likes

I posted way back in October that I used plastic storage crates, but at the the time the paddles and I were in different states so I couldn’t take a picture. Well, we’ve been reunited for a few days, so here’s the picture. This is not fancy. I just used something I had on hand to come up with a quick solution to store paddles in a “junk room”.

3 Likes

I’m glad you posted that. I was in one of my local thrift stores last week and they had a bunch of miscellaneous office furnishings including what I recognized (as a retired construction PM and estimator) as a vertically compartmented cube for storing rolled CAD drawings. Something in the back of my brain kept saying “you should buy this” whereas the front kept responding “no, I know it’s only $5 but what would you use it for?”

Aha! And , duh: I have 5 breakdown paddles. Should have listened to the back brain. I’ll swing by today and see if it is still there .

1 Like