Paddle storage

I’m adding a removable kayak rack to my utility trailer. I’m looking for ideas for securing my paddles during transport. I’d like it to also be removable so that my trailer is still available for other uses. Any ideas? Racks, tubes, boxes…?

Put your paddles inside your towing vehicle; they will be safer there.

Agree on inside as most simple and secure. For outside one piece Greenlanders go nicely in 4 or 6 inch PVC with glued cap on one end and test plug on other. I fit 3 paddles in my 4 inch version when inside of car will not allow.

Could you use one of those Rocket Boxes that Yakima and Thule make?

On my trailer, the bars are spaced close enough together that I could just attach an assembled paddle to the bars, along side the kayak, using ball bungees. But like others, I keep the paddle in the car. Note in the photo that I attach my removable bars using turnbuckles that anchor down to the trailer bed. The turnbuckles squeeze everything together so I don’t rely on bolted connections. A hitch pin clip goes through the body of the turnbuckle to keep it from unscrewing under vibration.

Take 'em apart and put in a paddle bag. Put bag in vehicle.

How much do your paddles cost? My foam core paddles stay inside the car in their bag. GP’s made by a local guy go up between the boats bungied to the cross bars.

@Celia said:
How much do your paddles cost? My foam core paddles stay inside the car in their bag. GP’s made by a local guy go up between the boats bungied to the cross bars.

That’s where mine stay also.

My rack holds eight kayaks and bolts to the flatbed with turnbuckles like Wolf’s. It’s a chore, but I use scissor jacks to lift it off the trailer, roll the trailer out, then drop the rack down onto plywood boxes. I’m open to any improvements in my system as well.