Paddle suggestions for sport canoe?

I’ve been reading various forums and am trying to decide on a “can’t miss” paddle in the $50-$100 range for my new canoe. It’s an 13’OT Predator, 40" beam, 74 lbs, flat bottom. Most of my paddling will be for either flyfishing on small rivers or recreational/camping. I plan to paddle solo most of time from seated position in center.

Paddle needs to be able to withstand some abuse from typical mistakes I’ll make and help offset slowness of boat. THanks.

I love my …
… Carlisle standard wooden paddle … honestly I thought for sure I would destroy it in no time flat because I don’t baby my equipement and expect it take whatever I put it through … when I picked it up to hold it for the first time , it was so light , it felt so perfectly great in my hands , so smooth and comfortable , and just seemed like it was a going to be a toy , but I just had to try it out so I bought it … this Carlisle paddle makes me think I have some expensive gem in my hands and I am amazed because I am very rough on it but it is holding up … I think it cost about $55. … I’m getting another one this year , next size longer … you should have an extra paddle in the boat anyway !!

Paddle Suggestions
From the information you have supplied, I’d suggest buying a low cost plastic paddle. There is nothing you can do that will make that boat move anything other than slowly on flatwater. If you’re using it for flyfishing, I assume some time will be spent on shallow, swift moving streams. On those streams yo’ll need to control the boat’s direction and at time perhaps fend off rocks or pole off the bottom. Why worry about damaging a decent paddle.

A boat such as you describe is basically a maneuverable fishing platform and for many people serves that purpose well. Don’t waste your time or money trying to make it be or do something that it was never designed to.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

Custom canoe paddles and cedar strip canoes

paddles
Thanks for the replies and I tend to agree…not too expensive. Still, it seems that even some of the less expensive paddles are better than others. So, beside Carlisle, which I’ve looked at and like, any other nice blade designs for $50-$60. I will occcasionally do plan to do recreational/ camping trips on I and II class rivers.

paddles
I’ve been researching a lot of forums and there seem to be a lot of advocates for 7 degree bent shaft paddles in terms of added pulling power. Some say it increases the power stroke by as much as 30%. For shallow, fast moving streams where I plan to fish, would this type of paddle work better for maneavering and handling than a straight?

not for your first paddle
Bent-shaft paddles improve your long-term forward speed, but at the cost of making some kinds of maneuvering harder. I would suggest a straight-shaft for your first paddle. If you decide that you like paddling distances, then a bent-shaft would be a good choice.

– Mark