Paddle theives

I had 2 WW paddles stolen out of the back of my pick up. Anyone have any ideas on securing paddles in the back of a pick up to prevent theft?? I use 1-piece paddles & they won’t fit in the cab. 2-piece paddles don’t hold up very well for whitewater paddling.

Chain + 2 locks?
Wrap chain around throat, one lock to make it snug and secure, use the other lock to secure chain to a hardpoint

Sorry for your loss

X’s 2
Jack L

Handcuffs
Assuming you have some kind of tiedown or other secure point, you can pick up a pair of handcuffs for about $12. Just keeps an honest person honest. The habitual thieves carry bolt cutters and other tools.

HandCuff locks exist
MasterLock actually produces such an item

http://www.masterlock.com/product_details/BikeLocks/8200D

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/extras/masterlock/street-cuff/prd_358991_117crx.aspx

Mixed reviews - but hey it’s a lock - visual deterrrent

Anything that causes hesitation, apprehension,

and involves extra time, slows them down,… a bit.

Keep stuff covered, wrapped, out of sight, when possible

Securing paddles

– Last Updated: Jun-06-13 2:32 PM EST –

I can't imagine why a single blade paddle won't fit inside a pickup cab. I have a Ford Ranger, and have single blade ww paddles that are 58 inches long. No big problem getting them to fit.
Yes, my pickup is an extended cab, but it's not necessary to use the extended portion of the cab.

Some good ideas have been posted; here's a deterrent. Using a wood burning tool; engrave your name & birthday on the paddle blade. It will have little to no affect on the paddle, and even the majority of thieves are not stupid enough to be using a paddle with your name engraved on it.
If they are that stupid; your name on the paddle is a big gotcha!

I doubt another paddler would steal a paddle. More likely non paddling, punk teens, running with similiar companions.

BOB

I think the OP is referring to a
WW kayak paddle.

It’s often helpful if we can remember that pnet is for many different types of paddlers when we post a question.

I agree with thebob. It would be a great conversation opener on the river" How are you enjoying MY paddle"?

How about a truck tool box?
They usually have locks and come in different sizes. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Aluminum-Polished-Mid-Sized-Low-Profile-Truck-Box-THD62LP/203418372#.UbDXfPnrylg

a hardware mounting option
I worked for an outfitter for a while in my 20’s and we had a trailer to haul kayaks and gear for outings. We used cheap one piece paddles and I came up with the idea of using what we “sparkies” call “minis”, the broom-clip type conduit hangers made by Mineralac:

http://www.elecdirect.com/catalog/9a87053b-e1f7-4fe4-879c-f45b56f582bc.aspx

You can get them in the electrical department of any builder center in a range of sizes – 1" or 1 1/4" work for most paddles. We mounted pairs of them to the trailer uprights and would use a small carabiner clip on one hanger and a small padlock on the other after slipping the paddle into the hangers. If, as in a truck bed, it would be difficult to secure a fastener going into the bed sheet metal, you can weld 5/8" galvanized unistrut to the sides and use strut spring nuts to attach the minis to the strut. Unistrut is also great stuff – like an erector set for grownups that comes in 20’ lengths.

“Minis” are handy for lots of things. Two mounted back to back with a stubby 3/8" machine screw, lockwasher and hex nut, makes a strong rotatable bracket for attaching round stock to other round stock for making racks and other constructions. I’ve even used them to hang pole type curtain rods.

If you are hanging overhead conduit on your own (like for wiring a garage or workshop) you hang these and then the conduit clicks in – you don’t have to hold it up while you screw in a one-hole strap. It will stay until you get the closure nut and bolt attached. ONce tightened, if it is the right size, the mini holds the tube firmly. A simple and useful bit of hardware.

Some
good input y’all. The WW paddles are just too long to fit in the cab, but I like some of the ideas you Pnetters have. I realize I’m not going to “prevent” theft, just want to make it more difficult to steal my gear. On a side note, had my camping bin stolen 3 weeks ago out of my truck as well-my bad for not keeping it in the cab, but what’s up with someone stealing a guys fun. Steal my wallet, phone, GPS, but not my fun!!!

Great conversation opener ?

– Last Updated: Jun-06-13 7:24 PM EST –

Wasn't thinking about any conversation at all.

Was thinking about dirty deeds, done dirt cheap, if I caught someone with a paddle of mine, with my name on it, and the paddle had been stolen from me. I'd be looking for that paddle until the day I died.

BOB

Chain
A short piece of chain works well if you padlock one end to the truck and the other around the shaft. We often just over them with our wet gear after a trip, so they aren’t visible or easy to get to.

Having you name or number etched on it is also a good idea, but obviously doesn’t prevent theft.Getting them out of sight might be the easiest thing.

I guess you don’t have an extended cab
I had thought paddles would not fit in my cab. Eventually found out I was wrong. With my extended cab Dakota, I put the paddle in near the head rest, between the seats, then rest the lower blade in the foot well.

Good suggestion
Glad to know about these clips. Some day I may put them to use, for something.

Where
is all this theft happening? I’d like to stay away.

Peter

Been
paddling / camping for 30 tears & never had anything stolen till this year. Paddles / camping bin both were stolen in MN. So much for “Minnesota nice” I have some extra chain, so I’ll give that a try with a lock for the paddles. It will at least keep honest people honest. Rest of gear locked in the truck cab.Thanks for the input.

Out of sight, out of mind in another way
Maybe try winding cable lock around the shafts, with the paddles stowed UNDER your truck’s bed.

You don’t put them on the paddle
You put them on the thief

It kinda ruins the River Experience when
you have to guard your stuff. If I can’t park and watch, I don’t park. Locks are a joke.

Yakima’s solution
http://www.yakima.com/shop/rack-systems/security/boatlocker/

These work for me on canoe paddles and on GPs. Not going to stop a dedicated thief, but should deter a “grab and run”.

Jim