Paddle to Pedal Conversion...

at least as it pertains to on-the-water fishing. While I’ve spent almost as much for custom waveskis, I had never considered buying a brand new pedal kayak despite 55 years of passion for fishing and 20 years of kayaking (and owning a myriad of sea, ww, surf, SOT and waveskis). I think I picked up an in-crowd biase over time about pedaling vs paddling. Well, I just picked up a used (2012) Hobie Revolution 13 this past Friday. I was willing as the owner was selling it for less than 50% of a brand new one. It also helped that the boat has been stored indoors and is good shape, despite sporting the usual bottom scrapes.

I took it out for a pond (sea) trial today. It was cloudy but not expected to rain. Rather the forecast was for showers and thunderstorms passing north of us in NH. So, it was perfect day (I prefer cloudy) for fishing and testing out the Hobie. Despite being the heaviest boat in my collection, at 70 lbs. it was actually not that much harder to deal with given the Hullavator and the use of a scupper hole cart that made the 100 yard portage from the parking space down to the pond rather easy. I got on fairly calm water and pedaled my way across the pond to a small rocky island where I have had success in landing some fish.

As I got there, I noticed a stiffening of the breeze and the approach of some darker clouds. Hmmm… the forecast for showers and thunderstorms to the north might be a tad bit off…

Yup. The forecast was definitely off, as I can feel the wind and the see the approaching line of rain across the far side of the 200 acre pond. In under a minute the rain was coming down on me.

Than it was really blowing a stiff breeze, over 20 MPH, and pouring.

Not what I expected, but really a good test for the Hobie as a dedicated fishing craft. In my kayaks, I know my hands would be mostly on the paddle to deal with the wind, fast drift and then venture an occasional cast to troll a lure. However, in the Hobie, I was able to keep casting all the while pedaling to slow down the drift. Occasionally had to reach down to the rudder control next to my left hip to adjust direction. So, I kept pedaling and fishing for over an hour in the rain and wind. Unfortunately, I didn’t pack any rain gear and had on only a long sleeve coolmax shirt, with PFD over that and nylon zip-up pants. Despite wanting to keep fishing, I started to feel the chill on the body. Discretion called for an end to the fishing trip. So I turned and headed back to the launch. The trip back was straight into the wind but I got there pretty quick – I think quicker than with a paddle because the Hobie fins were totally in the water and I didn’t have the adverse resistance of wind on a paddle. Instead I was just pedaling away into the wind, which felt akin to biking up a bit of a hill. No big deal since I bike daily to work. Also, while the Hobie Revo is narrowest of the Hobie line at 28.5", it was way more stable than any kayak I’ve ever paddle and certainly way more than my waveskis. A question for the future is how it would handle 3-4 waves or Boston Harbor ferry wakes (I would not consider taking the Hobie or any kayak for a fishing excursion in any conditions more challenging). Already, I can tell I am really going to enjoy fishing way more with a pedal rather than a paddle kayak. The simple fact is that I am actually actively fishing more while on the Hobie than I would in a typical paddle kayak.

sing

Yes the pedaling works very well and are faster than you might think. Though don’t own one I have paddled around them at the coast. I have and interest in the Hobie Tandem Island with pedals and sail, but have 2 sailboats already.

Congrats… The pedals lets you hold position in wind and current leaving your hands free to fish. They are popular in the Keys.

Sing, did you catch any fish?

@grayhawk said:
Congrats… The pedals lets you hold position in wind and current leaving your hands free to fish. They are popular in the Keys.

Doh! Took me this long to figure that out!

sing

@string said:

Yesterday, I caught a chill. :frowning:

sing

@sing said:

@string said:

Yesterday, I caught a chill. :frowning:

sing

Bummer

Sing, you are a renaissance paddler man. Neat boat. Hullavators and the FIT rock! :slight_smile:

I rarely trust the forecasts; this winter took a class with the NWS which I hope will help me read the weather while on the water.

@Rookie said:
Sing, you are a renaissance paddler man. Neat boat. Hullavators and the FIT rock! :slight_smile:

I rarely trust the forecasts; this winter took a class with the NWS which I hope will help me read the weather while on the water.

I try as well. But, thankfully, the weather channel on my VHF is pretty darn good. :wink:

sing

Fishing kayaks have a well-earned place. Glad that you are enjoying the boat and the experience.

Looks like fun and looks like an intriguing paddling/pedaling option.

I’ve never pedaled a Hobie. I’d be curious to know how you like it as a pure exercise option.

Probably not for me in the near term because I paddle a lot of shallow water but then again I’m ignorant so maybe it’s something I should investigate more closely.

@TomL said:

I’ve never pedaled a Hobie. I’d be curious to know how you like it as a pure exercise option.

Probably not for me in the near term because I paddle a lot of shallow water but then again I’m ignorant so maybe it’s something I should investigate more closely.

Those find are pretty long under the boat and easy to bend.

I talked to a coastal fishermen who said he had broken a number of fins and they are expensive. He said he was able to fix them in some cases.

Now you have broken the Lords Prayer.
Lead me not into temptation…
We have dock moorings where the thing could be in the water all summer and who cares what it weighs… Biking on the water is appealing!

@castoff said:
I talked to a coastal fishermen who said he had broken a number of fins and they are expensive. He said he was able to fix them in some cases.

Yup. Replacement Mirage drive (older version is like $650 plus. The new Mirage 180 drive (has integrated reverse capability) is almost $900.

I was also concerned about possibly destroying the drive fins by running aground or hitting boulders. But, if one is aware of shallow bottom or boulders, the drive fins can held almost flush to the bottom of the hull by extending one of the pedals all the way forward. One can past over the shallow with minimal risk to the fins. It doesn’t address crashing into an unexpected boulder in unfamiliar waters. But, even this is minimize for most obsessive kayak fisherman (including me) who use fishfinders (sonar) with integrated GPS (with nautical charts). The reason is that fish are attracted to “structure” and the fishfinder/GPS allow the search for these structures (and shallow hazards). A lot of Hobie kayak fishing folk have serious bucks invested in the craft as well as in the other technical accessories to find and mark fish and structure.

sing

@kayamedic said:
Now you have broken the Lords Prayer.
Lead me not into temptation…
We have dock moorings where the thing could be in the water all summer and who cares what it weighs… Biking on the water is appealing!

I have to say, it’s not exactly like biking. I am used to spinning with a bike. With the Hobie drive, it is more a straight line push and pull of the pedals. Analogy would be an elliptical vs a stairmaster machine. The other thing is that, as someone on the short end, I found the stroke of the Hobie pedal is longer than what my legs feel comfortable with. Took me a little bit to realize that I don’t have to do full, long strokes, but to do short flutter like strokes. My knees appreciate the modified stroke. Finally, my Hobie is the Revolution model which, at 28", is most narrow of the Hobies. The Revo is designed (supposedly) to allow for it to be “paddleable” for those who feel they are not “kayaking” if they don’t do some strokes with a paddle in hands once in awhile. :smile:

sing

He was fishing in shallow marsh water with numerous oyster bars for Red Fish. A lot of exposed oysters at low tide, but that was where the fish where.

You can buy a small 4 stroke outboard for little more than the price of the new fins. Still they do work well from what I have seen.

@string said:

@TomL said:

Those find are pretty long under the boat and easy to bend.

@castoff said:
You can buy a small 4 stroke outboard for little more than the price of the new fins. Still they do work well from what I have seen.

I see you are prone to hyperbole.

I occasionally paddle with Watertriber, Doobird. He’s a kayaker, but built his own craft, dubbed the Patuxent Queen, for the 2016 Florida Challenge. The PQ is lots bigger than any kayak we paddle. How’d he power that 1200 miles in 25 days? Yep, with a Mirage pedal drive. He was worried about the drive malfunctioning in shallows and weeds, but only suffered a single breakdown. You can read about his trip and see some photos of the PQ: http://watertribe.com/Magazine/Y2016/M05/UltimateFloridaChallenge2016.aspx

The point is, whether we consider it kayaking or not, the pedal drive system is a serious alternative for moving a boat through ocean, rivers and bays. Not to mention, you can fish while doing it.

~~Chip