Paddler Weight

I’m new to kayaking, took lessons, and am now wanting to purchase the liquidlogic remix9. I am at the top of the max. weight but the kayak fits nicely. I do not intend to load the kayak with extra gear (camping etc.). I like the weight of the boat for hefting it around and the length. The Remix10 seems a little big.

Question: How does being at the top of the max paddler weight affect paddling and safety?

Thanks!

MCS

weight
In general, the closer the boat is loaded to its max weight capacity, the less stable it will be. As for the Remix, you are going to lose a lot of the boats performance and capability. The 10 was built for paddlers of your size, so I recommend the 10. There is no cost difference, so run with it and forget it’s available in a 9 foot. It’s a beautiful, awesome boat. You should be happy with it for many years.

What color are you going with? I want it in Green Hornet.

Why so short a boat?
If you are new to kayaking then why are you getting a slow 9 or 10 foot boat. The shortest I’d recommend is 12 or 14 feet for a first boat. My first boat was short too, but it was a mistake. Short boats are really really slow. Long boats are no that hard to turn.

I’d only get the boat you are mentioning for serious white water and I’d want to have a good roll and the 10 foot model.

If you plan to paddle is in easy rivers and flat water you will be disappointed.

before you buy
It was a mistake for me to buy a new boat bfore I had tried out different boats. There are people who buy a boat this week and sell it cheap a month from now. Most buy a boat that is so wide it does not go far. Maybe you will buy used chaep and graduate to narrower and faster.

I’ll 2nd that

Expectations
Also remember that many here are flatwater paddlers, so they generallyt think longer is better. If you are looking to get into moving water and whitewater, the 9 footer will be okay and any instability will help you learn to brace and handle a small kayak. For WW, the 9 footer is a bit of a barge, but still good for learning and getting into the sport.

Jim

depends on use
The answer to your question depends on how you plan to use the boat. Are you planning on doing any whitewater? If not, there is probably some merit to looking at something more akin to a touring/sea kayak, rather than the Remix 9, which is more of a WW/flatwater hybrid.

If yes, then it depends on what type of rivers you’re going to be paddling. Generally speaking, the advantage of a higher volume boat (compared to your weight) is that you will ride “higher” in the water, and will find it easier to get through stuff, as opposed to getting munched. However, this usually isn’t a big concern until you get into running more serious stuff (Class IV+, big drops, etc) If you’re just planning to do Class I-III stuff, then I suspect you’d be just fine in the Remix 9.

Thanks
Thanks everyone! I think trying the two boats will be the best solution if I can talk the store into it. I actually spoke with LL and they suggested I would be o.k. in 9 and the 10 could be too big and I wouldn’t know unless I tried it. Yes, I plan on some moving water. Class 1 - 3. Mostly AZ and Colorado.

Thanks for everyone’s help!