Paddlers fined for paddling the Northwest Passage

Surprised it hasn’t shown up here. Maybe an old story?

WestCoastPaddlers has a thread where they are dissecting this. Here are some articles on this from there:

Well, in defense of the paddlers, there is a large sign near the put in that says “Fine for padding”. I suppose they hoped for an optimistic interpretation…

1 Like

Hahaha!
“When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
Humpty Dumpty (Through the Looking Glass)

3 Likes

I breathed a sigh of relief that they were not charged with lewd acts upon wildlife.

Last I heard their court date had been pushed forward into April, I think but this has fallen off the radar it seems.

Anyone have any updates?

That’s it I’m not going! Canceled all my plans. :laughing:

This looks way better to me, and you get a pint of Tennent’s at the end of the day.

Scotland’s Sublime???

Somewhere twain the peaty malt,
bogged off entrails of haggis bought,
with thems that would plaid in the hood
if scam to tam-o-shanter should,

Aye, there you’ll find me moost the time,
as somes may see but thems sublime,
shall see not subtle what’s kilt in turns,
whenst tweed their minds to feel the Burns.

1 Like

I’m pretty good friends with one of them…

1 Like

Have you heard if they’ve been through court yet and if so what the outcome was?

I’m curious if Parks Canada is on an enforcement binge.

I’m paddling Canada this summer and, frankly, it isn’t easy to understand their permitting process. In the US, you buy a pass to the National Parks and then pay for camping. But, as I understand it, will have to figure out the day and location and apply for a backcountry camping permit on Crown Land, then get other permits for Provincial Parks. Given that I’m kayaking the entire Canadian coast of Superior and will theoretically only be one night at each location, that’s a lot of paperwork. Plus, if I get weathered off the Lake, all my reservations will be for the wrong day.

I would hope for some understanding of that if my permits are challenged and that infraction would seem to be minor compared to crossing into protected wildlife habitat, but that’s why I’m curious about how the Arctic Cowboys were treated in court.

It’s a PITA. In BC navigating the web pageS is a nightmare.
Click on BC parks and find your park, that will take you to another page, then you can get a day pass or something else (camping permit)
You apply for registrations (reservations not required) for marine camping, it takes you to the wilderness page for backcountry reservations…confusing.
If you want information about the park operators and contact them, that’s another page again.
Maybe Ontario’s service is better, wishing you luck

“You roll the dice and take your chances.”

I see it as a case of they want to do what they desire regardless of the rules and law. My understanding is ignorance of the law isn’t a defense.

Too bad the Canadian permitting etc. is confusing and unrealistic. Maybe the publicity will bring about an improvement to the system. That is unlikely, however. As things stand you comply, do something else, or take your chances you don’t get caught. My choice would be one of the first two options.