paddles and seats for my work boat

OK I got my canoe for work (thank ya’ll for the advice; I decided on a Morningstar); now I need paddles and a solo seat.

I’m a fairly avid paddler and appreciate a good paddle. I got a couple of Sawyers, and a couple of Grey Owls… However, my budget for work (state government concervation agency) is threatening to prohibit the purchase of a quality paddle. So. I was hoping that some of you folks may know of some good paddles on the cheap. I was thinking of splurging (50 bucks or so) on a “decent” paddle for myself and maybe some livery type paddles for folks that will be borrowing my boat.

As far as a solo use of the boat, I’m thinking either a kneeling thwart or one of them half or mini seats. Who makes half or mini seats? I don’t know the proper term for them and can’t find them on the internet, but I know I’ve seen them before…

Any help would be appreciated.

If your Sawyers and Grey Owls are
long enough, I’m sure you can be happy with them after only minor modifications. But if they’re already too short, then forget it… You’ll have to look for a longer starting point, but don’t assume you have to pay a whole lot of money. A Morningstar doesn’t need a Zaveral or a Mitchell slalom paddle.

I need to clarify…

My personal paddles won’t be used for work because I value them too much to allow some of the folks I work with to use them on our outings. Trust me they’d be trashed.

I’ve never shopped for paddles on this restrictive of a budget before so I was wondering what the best paddle was for $50 or $30. I don’t want to be paddling with a 2x4. I like underwater recoveries and quiet paddling too much. and you got to be able to practice your freestyle on your lunchbreak.

Are Mohawks as good as they say for a budget friendly paddle. & I’m thinking along the lines of a Sawyer special as my “high-end stick”.

Yes, Mohawks are good budget paddles…
the 20 year old ones I own have served quite well. They seem sturdier and/or lighter than other plastic and aluminum paddles.

Old Town
Old Town (Carlisle) paddles have worked well for us. The standard paddle at $31 is nice because the aluminum shaft is covered with a poylyethylene sleeve. It also comes in four different lengths. You might contact Johnson Outdoors to buy direct. They have been kind to state government in the past.

https://crab.secure-host.com/extrasport/oldtowncanoe/catalog.php?fr_sw=0&section_id=2

Mohawks are better
the mohawk plastic paddles are quiter and stronger than the Old town/ Carlile (sp?) type paddles. They are stronger and they are much quieter.

The only thing I don’t like about the mohawk is the weight and the fact that it doesn’t feel quiet as nice as wood.

Beavertail
What’s wrong with this one?

https://crab.secure-host.com/extrasport/oldtowncanoe/catalog.php?fr_sw=0&section_id=2

Top photo.

My new seat
I glued in a the blue walmart camping pad foam to the botttom of my canoe a few years ago and it has held up well. Back then I paddled from the front seat facing the stern.

Recently I wanted to move forward to the center and I found that three yoga blocks strapped together make an excellent kneeling stool if you are used to kneeling from church or yoga classes try it out.

If you are not used to kneeling try it at home starting five minutes at a time while you read or watch TV. Increase the time slowly.

My new seat
I glued in a the blue walmart camping pad foam to the botttom of my canoe a few years ago and it has held up well. Back then I paddled from the front seat facing the stern.

Recently I wanted to move forward to the center and I found that three yoga blocks strapped together make an excellent kneeling stool if you are used to kneeling from church or yoga classes try it out.

If you are not used to kneeling try it at home starting five minutes at a time while you read or watch TV. Increase the time slowly.

Either a kneeling thwart
or something along these lines

http://www.zafu.net/benches.html

I made a portable kneeling bench out of a few scraps of plyood.

Top is 5x11, two sheets of 5/8 glued together .Bottom is a little smaller.

After trial and error to find my kneeling height that was comfortable cut a square baluster to length. Screw to top of ply on one end, bottom on another. Wrap in foam.

Your ankles fit on each side of the baluster and the wide area is supporting your butt. Takes all the pressure off your ankles.

Its a good substitute where you cant have a kneeling thwart.

you can purchase direct from Old Town .
… the Carlisle Beavertail paddle .

It really is a pretty nice paddle , believe it or not .

I have two Whiskey Jacks , a Turtle Works and some other nice paddles , plus the usual plastic ones (Carlisles makes a nice plastic paddle too-green and gold) , but my Carlisle 8" Beavertail is still my favorite .

It should cost about 55. shipped , light (lam. basswood) and powerful , has a urethane tip guard , and just feels great in the hands all day … what can I say . Well I might as well add , I certainly don’t baby it , it’s 3 or 4 x’s as tough as it looks , amazes me how it can eat river rock all day long and keep shining on .

My new seat

My new seat