Paddling alone, or....

Most of my paddling is with me, myself and I. Yesterday by chance I took the opportunity to join a group of paddlers who were doing a little jaunt that I had been thinking about. They were nice enough to let me tag along. They turned out to be a friendly group and for a change it was nice to be with a group. It made a nice day of paddling out of a day that didn’t get off to the start I expected.

Nothing throws a wet towel on plans more effectively than to get to your launch site and find it closed. That almost turned me around and headed back home, but I quickly hit the refresh button and headed for a launch site that I had pretty much written off for various reasons. One of those reasons was that I expected it to be a mess with too many people and boats, but it was still early and the mobs were just beginning to show up. I got a good parking spot with some advice from fellow paddlers and was looking forward to enjoying a gorgeous day.

Paddling with the group was very relaxed with a stop every couple of miles. I usually don’t stop at all, or maybe only after several hours of paddling. This slow pace was enjoyable, but when the others were done for the day, there was still enough time to get in some exercise. I took off and checked out a section of water that I had never explored before. So it was a great day to be on the water.

Paddlers are usually good, helpful people. I enjoy group paddles.

I usually paddle solo for many of the same reasons you’ve listed. I’ve tried groups and commented on my experiences more than a few times here. Overall I’d say that day paddles with groups are ok, but as you’ve mentioned if you’re looking to get a workout it’s often better to do alone or with someone you know likes to push it. Smaller numbers are much better both for delay times putting in, taking out, breaks, etc, and to stay together more as a group while traveling and not lose stragglers. Four seems a good number. Maybe six if most are well-practiced with their routines. I hate waiting for someone who’s late for the arranged meeting time, and those that take way longer than average to get ready but didn’t have the courtesy to show up early.

Overnights and multi-day trips are another story. I really hesitate to join an unknown group for camping. Few people camp and travel the same way that I do. Most of the ones I’ve met are looking to get out of the city for a long weekend, and let loose consuming alcohol and carrying on. Why they need to paddle somewhere, have a huge bonfire, and leave their garbage to do this is beyond me.

I prefer paddling alone much of the time because I don’t want to paddle with people who want to get a workout, unless its in surf then workouts are pretty much part of the package Same reason I hike alone. I’m not in a hurry, and don’t want to exert myself just to keep up with someone else’s pace. I do like paddling with people too, but only for short trips-a couple hours of relaxed paddling and conversation is enough. Or in surf too, so there’s someone to pull my carcass from the water, notify my dog, and post it on pnet.

@qajaqman said:
…so there’s someone to pull my carcass from the water, notify my dog, and post it on pnet.

Excellent. My style of dry, witty humour.

I both paddle alone and with groups. I find it easy to get along with others. I also enjoy camping with others, but I do it with folks I know fairly well. I enjoy the company of like minded paddlers. I find solitude in the wild when I go hunting.

Lost my dog so my woods walks and solo canoeing are now really alone. I enjoyed her company on those walks and paddles. I figure String will post my demise. I would rather mother nature keep my body so don’t really need someone for recovering it. All in all I like meeting new paddlers.

Maybe it’s because of population density or because I don’t go to state-owned launch sites, but I’ve never seen a group of paddlers on land or water, other than in class (to me, a group is more than three). On the big inland lakes I might see a few pairs; rarely do I see a single kayak on northern Lake Michigan, although that could be timing as there are some very high end sea kayaks stored at a few of the waterfront homes.

@magooch Why would a launch site be closed? No parking left or environmental problems?

@castoff said:
I both paddle alone and with groups. I find it easy to get along with others. I also enjoy camping with others, but I do it with folks I know fairly well. I enjoy the company of like minded paddlers. I find solitude in the wild when I go hunting.

Lost my dog so my woods walks and solo canoeing are now really alone. I enjoyed her company on those walks and paddles. I figure String will post my demise. I would rather mother nature keep my body so don’t really need someone for recovering it. All in all I like meeting new paddlers.

There is a pup nearby who is also alone and will love you forever.

There is a pup nearby who is also alone and will love you forever.

Go for it puppy needs a home.

Whether on 4 group events people great and fun but tethered to the slowest one. Usually Ian out average 3.5-4.5 mph. Low 2’s is a killer for me. I like good workout. GF is good for 3.5 when we go out for 10 miles or so. I’d rather go hard then rest. People wandering apart is bad also if it’s rough.

I’ll do some groups again but 85% is alone or with honey. Had one partner where we raced all the time but he moved that was great.

I did a fair amount of paddling alone when I first started. Then I related a story from C and K to my wife about a pro who was found dead floating in his PFD on a perfect day.
After that she insisted I always go with someone.

@Rookie said:
Maybe it’s because of population density or because I don’t go to state-owned launch sites, but I’ve never seen a group of paddlers on land or water, other than in class (to me, a group is more than three). On the big inland lakes I might see a few pairs; rarely do I see a single kayak on northern Lake Michigan, although that could be timing as there are some very high end sea kayaks stored at a few of the waterfront homes.

@magooch Why would a launch site be closed? No parking left or environmental problems?

In this particular case, I just don’t know why it was closed. I should explain that I doubt that it had anything to do with the actual launch site; it was the road down to it that was closed and I wasn’t about to carry my boat a quarter mile down–let alone back up this moderately steep hill. It’s possible that a slide, or fallen tree might have been the problem, or maybe some work in progress at the beach area. This is not the first time I have been stopped cold by the gate being closed. In the future, I will call ahead to make sure it’s open, or now that I know more about the alternate launch that is not that far away, especially on weekdays, that might be the best option anyway.

I’m pretty lucky to have at least four very good launch sites within just a few miles. There are others, but too many of them I don’t feel good about leaving my vehicle there.

I paddle alone in my ski for exercise and peace of mind but with family or friends in the rec tandems.
They may use the same terminology but they are like two totally different sports.

I am a solo paddler 99% of the time and I like it that way. I like to paddle fast and do some distance, Once a year I paddle with a group on 4 day trip. Even then I tend to shoot ahead of everyone, or give everyone a head start. I’m a terrible group paddler.

@castoff said:. I figure String will post my demise. I would rather mother nature keep my body so don’t really need someone for recovering it. All in all I like meeting new paddlers.

I found a castoff awash a lonely pitch pine shore,
In recession sand revealed hollowed sockets that implored,
this weary traveler’s eye to eye in empty spaces hidden lore,
that a skull once might have held but now waves in time had tore.

But unlike Hamlet this was no Yorick I had known,
truths enfolding once gray matter worms removed to not be shown,
nor would I learn how came to rest on this spit this soulless bone,
and as scattered gulls cry overhead I feel connected and alone.

NEVER paddle alone.
You’ll drown if you paddle alone.
your pfd won’t work if you paddle alone.
You’ll poke your eye out if you paddle alone

Now, go out and do as I say, not as I do

I got invited Sunday to paddle with friends. Very glad I hauled the skeleton out of the boat and went. We put in at place that I don’t usually use and it turned out to be a good thing. The birding was great.

@canoeswithduckheads said:

The hollow eyes no longer see,
for now the soul is flown.
The flesh did feed the mighty sea,
this empty husk is bone.
The tides of fortune flood then ebb,
and sands of time are home.

@castoff said:

@canoeswithduckheads said:

The hollow eyes no longer see,
for now the soul is flown.
The flesh did feed the mighty sea,
this empty husk is bone.
The tides of fortune flood then ebb,
and sands of time are home.

That’s pretty good. Does your wife know where the insurance policy is?

Yes, but she won’t show it to me!!!