Paddling Alone - Part II

I am a newbie and posted a few weeks ago on this subject. Lots of great – and encouraging – responses. Thanks.

Things have changed. I am now into whitewater kayaking as opposed to rec/touring which was the subject of the previous post. I took the advice of folks at my local paddling club and got some professional instruction (2 full days on a local river). I have – or am in the process of accumulating all of the necessary equipment. The same folks at my local paddling club now tell me that I am not sufficiently skilled to join them on their “Beginner Series” outings. They are probably right. I would rate my skills at about 0.2 on a scale of 10.0. (I am however in the 9.0 – 10.0 range with the wet exit because I get to “practice” it quite often.) They say that I need more “experience.” They’re right again.

I am now in the position of needing experience, but my local paddling club has no place for me (I begin to ask why I bothered to join) and I have only one friend who paddles. He is very experienced and would, I assume, humor me every now and again, but would not be willing to spend serious time watching me deal with the “basics.” That leaves me with only one option as far as I can see:

Buy some instructional videos and get out there and do it ALONE. In other words, teach myself.

1. I plan to go to a local lake and, at a spot not far from the boat launch area, teach myself how to roll. I see no other options for acquiring a roll.
  2. I will paddle in a local creek. It has flowing water and Class I/II “bumps.” Nothing serious. There are some fishing holes with depths above one’s waist. Nothing more.

I don’t see any other options. I am getting into this sport at an advanced age and, it being only June, do not want to waste the first of my remaining years. Plan B is to say “screw this,” and forget the whole thing.

Comments?

Where are you?

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 11:54 AM EST –

"1. I plan to go to a local lake and, at a spot not far from the boat launch area, teach myself how to roll. I see no other options for acquiring a roll."

Probably not a good idea. This might be a way to experience hours of frustration without actually learning to roll. (If you must do this, a paddle float might be a useful tool. Be VERY careful to keep your arms close to your body. You don't want to have the experience of having to wet exit with a pulled shoulder. There are also videos that might be helpful.)

"2. I will paddle in a local creek. It has flowing water and Class I/II “bumps.” Nothing serious. There are some fishing holes with depths above one’s waist. Nothing more"

You don't need much water to drown.

Where are you? There might be other options depending on where you live.

Plan B is NOT an option!
I’m dissapointed to read that your club is not trying harder to include you in their activities. I would assume that an outing in their “Beginner’s Series” would include exactly that: beginners. Since there’s safety in numbers, I’m scratching my head at their decision.

I only have limited experience in 'yaks, more in canoes and other type of vessels, and 0 in WW. But without a doubt, as I’m sure others would agree, seeking instruction from a “pro” (certified instructor) will serve you much better.

If your club has any interest in making the sport grow, there must be a person or two who can help you with your basic skills, if not, then pointing you in the right direction of an instructor who is motivated to do so, would be the right thing for them to do.

When I competed in HighPower Rifle Matches, I always made a point to meet new shooters to the club, and if they were new to the sport, I would make sure they weren’t “intimated” by the more experienced shooters, as many newbies can be.

Regardless of which type of kayaking you want to do, don’t let the unwillingness of others to spend some time with you from keeping you from what YOU want to do!!!

Good luck and don’t give up!!!

Erik

You are posting on the wrong board

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 12:42 PM EST –

Go to the forums on Boatertalk.com. Find some people doing whitewater in your area and screw the kayak club. You will be fine practicing rolling on your own in shallow water if you take precautions. Check out videos by Eric Jackson, his rolling and bracing video is fantastic for teaching yourself to roll. Likely you can find some whitewater paddlers who will take you along.

Paddlingnet is mostly composed of about 90% >55 year old flatwater paddlers who spend more butt time at the computer than in their boats. Likely your kayak club is the same composition. Another possible explanation is perhaps your boat does not fit their plan for beginning outings perhaps? Overweight? Some sort of physcial handicap? Hard to believe you could not join a beginners series if you have already taken some moving water classes. What kind of boat will you be trying to learn whitewater in?

Answers to Questions So Far
I am located in Eastern Pennsylvania.

I have already purchased one instructional video on the roll and plan to purchase a few more on whitewater kayaking.

There are two paddling clubs in my area. One is for whitewater afficionados interested only in things above Class II. (This obviously is not for me at the moment.) The other is the one that I belong to. It has a large membership (in the hundreds) and supposedly appeals to all types of paddlers (canoes, touring kayaks, whitewater, etc.). In fairness to them, their “Beginner” activities start in January with pool training and progress on to the river in the spring. On the other hand, I was not aware that I had any interest back in January, but have followed their advice and received “professional” instruction. Like you, I have to ask “If the ‘Beginners Series’ isn’t for beginners, then exactly who is it for?” I shall take the advice of Stavemaker and pose this question to someone in authority.

Will post this on Boater Talk as suggested.

Thanks to all.

Northeast Kayak School

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 1:40 PM EST –

What club are you a member of?

Northeast Kayak School on the Lehigh. Jerry is a great instructor and has a great reputation.

KCCNY is a white water club based in NY/NJ. They are very big on teaching new kayakers. Also, AMC NY/NJ chapter.

"You are posting on the wrong board" -->> this is often repeated and always incorrect. Boatertalk is also a good choice but it might also be "noisy" and confusing for someone starting out.

"Find some people doing whitewater in your area and screw the kayak club"

I would seriously suggest -not- following this advice since there's no way -for you- to assess these people's skills OR their ability/interest in rescuing people. People often exaggerate their skills.

good points

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 1:33 PM EST –

I agree - ask someone at the club where you go from the level you're at. Most paddling clubs around here have beginner trips that are just that, for people who have learned the basics somewhere else and want to get out on the water. Plenty of experienced paddlers on those trips to learn from as well.

Do you have a local paddling shop? They may have get togethers that are beginner related - I can think of three in my area that have stuff like this. Some have a small cost, some are free. Generally they're very beginner friendly.

Don't write off the club just yet - paddling is a skill sport and they're probably just looking out for your best interest. Taking their pool courses and getting to know the other people in the club would probably help, but it does seem strange that they don't have any trips that they feel are beginner friendly. Some of today's beginners will hopefully become future leaders of their club...

Shops in the NE
I would think most of the shops in this area PA/NJ/NY/CT would direct people to other schools or clubs.

In fairness to the club…
It sounds like their “canned” Beginner series assumes simply more time learning to stay upright rather than swimming, and a more likely ability to roll up, than you would have with just having started this month.

That said, most clubs have subsets of people who paddle together and are less formally announced. It is a little trickier with WW because the rescue scenarios require strong skills - there is only so much time to ferry across to someone who has gone over in a strainer. A bunch of real beginners is not terribly likely to have someone among them who can do that. But sometimes there is a generous soul who has the skills and likes introducing new people to WW.

I agree with the need for caution in this one.

It is costlier, but lessons do address most of the issues. It may be best just to seond more time there, get the skills as quickly as possible.

I lived in Bucks County
a long time ago. There is a group of folks who paddle Tohikon creek fairly regularly when the conditions permit. I don’t know if they belong to a club. I think they would be easy to find. Lots of gentle water in Eastern Pa to practice on. There are very few people who post here who paddle whitewater regularly: Dr. Disco and ZZZ come to mind. You sound like you are on the right track. The rigid class structuer of the club you mentioned is not necessary. Ask the people you took the initial classes with what they recommend as next steps.

Doable…Alone…

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 2:43 PM EST –

I spent the first year doing most of it alone. Taught myself how to roll. Practiced over the winter in pool sessions mostly alone (I worked at place with a pool) and a couple of club sessions. Went on one official club outing and HATED it (getting yelled at like a "kid" for inadvertantly paddling too far ahead of the group ain't what I was looking for). Then went on most ocean outings alone by being very conservative about the conditions forecasted. Took a surf class in a long boat and really enjoyed that. I started to look for surf conditions and went out to play it whenever I could, mostly alone. My second spring, took a the AMC white water school weekend and got into that. Went on some trips with them. But, these days, I am more likely to go to the Deerfield River on a whim, hitch a shuttle and paddle it alone (with bunch of others of the river). I have camp 20 minutes from the class II Androscoggin. More often than not, I "play" at "Planet Errol" section which is only a 1/4 mile stretch below the Errol Dam. Or, I go down to the Pontook session and, again, hitch a shuttle and paddle it alone. Of course, I was familiar with the Deerfield and Androscoggin before running/playing it alone. I must have done okay since I was asked and volunteered to coach to AMC ww weekends and have been invited by some of trip leaders to assist with trips. This past year, I have not been interested at all as my focus has increasingly been with surf and surfing with a waveski. With my surfing, 75% of the time I am out alone.

The trick with doing it alone is to be very cogizant of what you can handle and try to be conservative (of course, I crossed that boundary more than several times and learned from that). Read everything you can find and watch everything you can and practice, practice, practice.

sing

Mostly a lone paddler and much more enjoying that than paddling with a group.

Paddling alone

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 2:44 PM EST –

"very cogizant of what you can handle"

CLEARLY, this person does not have enough experience to be "cognizant" of anything!

I have -no idea- why people suggest -beginner- (especially) paddlers to paddle alone.

I have nothing against people paddling alone (I've done it) but it seems -irresponsible- to suggest it to someone who's skills one knows nothing about!

Don't people think before they post?

Nor Was I…

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 2:49 PM EST –

and a lot of other folks. I wouldnt' argue against lessons but he noted that is not a ready option.

The flip side is that I have gone with some who claim to have lessons, know something (and even have some stars) and who I wouldn't go with again. But, then again, they probably would not go out with me again either. It all works out. :)

sing

PS. The guy is talking about going out on a lake or a pond right now in warmer weather. Are you really suggesting no one should do that in the summer without a partner and/or lessons? You can but I would disagree.

speaking of thinking before you post
…did you?

Are you serious? Or a club shill?

Lots of people get started solo, with the right guidance and common sense.

Poor judgement

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 4:30 PM EST –

"Nor Was I..."

Your post does nothing but encourage paddling alone!

"PS. The guy is talking about going out on a lake or a pond right now in warmer weather. Are you really suggesting no one should do that in the summer without a partner and/or lessons? You can but I would disagree."

Go read the original post again. He's talking about running class I/II rivers alone. He's talking about learning how to roll alone. He has also indicated that he has very little skill.

And, nor does your original post suggest "going out on a lake or a pond" but, instead, talks about a lot of stuff that is much more ambitious than that!

"he noted that is not a ready option"

But that isn't the case!

More carelessness

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 4:17 PM EST –

"Lots of people get started solo, with the right guidance and common sense."

You don't know the guy! You can't provide the "right" guidance.

You took the words out of my mouth
NJ you don’t have a profile? We don’t know you and don’t have a clue to your qualifications to be so assured in your pronouncements.

you’re right
I’ll fix that right now with a post.

Oh. I think he said this: “I will paddle in a local creek. It has flowing water and Class I/II “bumps.” Nothing serious. There are some fishing holes with depths above one’s waist. Nothing more.”

So what?

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 4:24 PM EST –

"NJ you don't have a profile? We don't know you and don't have a clue to your qualifications to be so assured in your pronouncements."

Your profile doesn't indicate anything more useful!

I've pointed out other places whose reputations are easily assessed. My reputation isn't at all a part of my advice!

Yes
I know a relatively-experienced person who managed to kill himself in such a place.