Paddling Alone

SPONSONS!
Geeze I’m so bad…

Actually I prefer outriggers to sponsons…

:slight_smile:

What Andy said!

and
you wear a pfd right?

Thermal protection and a PFD
Swimming is nice but I am poor at… Hell I can’t swim for beans.

I was a paratrooper and thought my swimming is very bad my flight skills are worse.

Be careful, always wear a PFD and if you were anywhere near me I would say a dry or thick wet suit are a must.

Hone up on self rescue skills as soon as you can.

Welcome to the greatest sport in the world.

You might check out Cold Water Boot Camp, on Youtube deep water is normally cold.

Be carefull but enjoy.

Alex

LOL
Supertrol you are a sh!t disturber aren’t you.

I have not seen the S word here for a while.

I am glad I did not have a cup to my lips when I saw your post.

Alex

what you plan
to do doesn’t sound particularly dangerous so long as you use the proper equipment(think pfd here) and watch the weather–and remember that wind is weather too.

you should practice
tipping over in your boat and getting out… (wet exit)

with someone with you… it’s really basic but I have seen beginners panic because it can happen very sudden.

the others advice about self rescue (or taking lessons) is good advice. Let the instructor know you want to get wet and learn to rescue.

He’s just trolling for a Springcreek
factory sponsonship.

Everyone
is really paddling alone…they just tend to think those people that they are surrounded by are going to be able to save them…always paddle like you have to take care of yourself and you will be prepared like you should always be…

as the conditions worsen…even the best paddlers are paddling with no net…prepare to always save yourself…learn to roll as bombproof as possiable…start now…it’s a beginner skill , don’t let anyone convince you otherwise…(off the bandwagon now)

Best wishes

Roy

until you are confident enough to …

– Last Updated: Apr-27-09 11:00 PM EST –

...... increase risk level , stay right in close to the shore ... and paddle many , many miles of shoreline . Hopefully while you experience close to shore adventures , you will also experience various increasing weather and water challenges , increasing your confidence and skill levels . All of sudden you will strike out for further ranges and explorations that lead you away , further and further from shore .

Agree with having aboard at least minimal measures for comfort and survival should you be stranded for a brief time till you figure out what to do next ... probably won't happen , but you be prepared anyway , right ??

Crawl , walk , then run ... who knows , you may end up jumping too !!

+1
On going alone. I paddle alone most of the time for the reasons Andy mentioned.

You’ve gotten some great advice here.

I would reiterate:

Tell someone where you are going

Make sure your PFD fits and wear it

Practice self rescue

Use a paddle leash

Make sure your cell phone stays dry and is connected to the boat

Never swim naked if the tide is going out

Have fun!!!

Have fun!!!

Have fun!!!

Sponsons
You might find any ten year old girls using 50 cent homemade sponsons to rescue themselves, plus other victims in the water, useful. Far more adept than any experts. SAR groups have used Old Town rec kayaks with foam noodles to paddle into rocky surf near cliffs where helicopters are useless. I hope that the diagrams and pictures are useful. It is all free: www.sponsonguy.com

Take care. Thanks, Tim Ingram