Paddling around Paul Smiths College

I am currently a student at paul smith college in upstate new york. I know that there are many place to paddle around there a wanted to know where are some of the better places to go, since there are many places and I would like to know the best ones. Thanks.

get the paddler’s map
If you purchase the ADK paddling map, available locally, you’ll see that you are surrounded by too many places to even list!

For starters and only a few mile away -

Osgood Pond up the Osgood River

Black Pond

Little Clear Pond

St. Regis Lakes

Mountain Pond

Also be sure to visit the Interpretive Center for beautiful hiking trails!

Map
One thing that may not be so obvious if you are not familiar with reading this type of map, is in which direction the current flows between ponds. In general the rivers flow north in this part of the ADks. You should really check out Jamieson’s “Adirondack Canoe Waters, North Flow” book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0935272437/qid=1137073870/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-3232261-3413560?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Paul Smiths area paddling
Put in at Church pond paddle to Osgood pond and up the Osgood river! Also try putting in at the outlet of Mecham lake on Rt 30, paddle up the outlet into the lake and then up the Osgood river to the right. There are some cool ponds to explore in that area. That is a good paddle.

Another paddle a little further north is The Salmon River. Go North toward Duane NY. Turn on Rt 99. Go to Duane Rd turn North. Go all the way to Chasm Falls Dam. Launch at the park, paddle up stream. This is a nice paddle in the summer with low current. Not many people do this stream. Check out USGS Quad Owls Head NY.

And I live in Virginia !

Is there life west of the Chesapeake Bay ?

Paul Smith’s area paddling
There is nothing but great paddling near Paul Smiths. Immediate area is maybe a bit short on whitewater opportunities but you’ll still never tire or run out of great destinations.

From a launch on campus, w/ sufficient time & ambition you can paddle to Lake Champlain, Hudson R, or St Lawrence.

Definitely “check out” Jamieson’s “North Flow” from campus library. While in there ask to see the 300+ yr old White Pine cross-section formerly on display.

Here’s a great online resource :

http://adk.com/recreation/z-recreation.htm

Click on canoe/kayak interactive map for a great overview of both local & NNY paddling destinations. Printed copies are widely available & most worthwhile for dreaming over & trip planning.

Just up Brandon Rd from campus you’ve access to Middle branch St Regis R, Quebec Brook & Madawaska Flow. 1m W on SR458 from it’s jct w/ SR30 you can launch into E branch St. Regis @ Rice brook for a great run to Everton falls or below if your skills are up to it. None of above have any development.

As stated, Osgood’s nice also, either upstream from Meacham L or "down"river from Osgood Pond. Upstream puts you in Jones Pond Outlet which eventually yields L Kushaqua, another worthy destination.

For pond hopping the SRCA, a day trip from campus w/ a lite, fast craft is hard to beat.

Enjoy! If you like flatwater paddling you’re surely in the right place.

ADK paddling
Check out this site: http://www.adkforum.com

There is a section there for paddlers. Look for posts from Redhawk.