Paddling Bachelor Party Plan (September) - Help Needed Please

Hi Everyone,

I really hope some experts out there can help me. I am planning a bachelor party for my best friend, and I believe a canoe trip would be ideal! If you have time to help, I’d really appreciate it.

Most of the guys are experienced living in the outdoors, and some have done multi-day canoe trips on rivers local to them. Attendees will be coming from different locations, so I’d like to find a river that is accessible if everyone were to fly in from a major airline. The groom would like to push the group a little bit out of their comfort zone, but still have the trip be enjoyable and exciting. Shooting for 3 days/2 nights in September. We’d like to camp each night.

Here are the details I’m looking for:

• Trip to occur on a weekend in September 2019
  • 3 days/2 nights on river would be ideal
  • 8-10 guys will attend (4-5 canoes)
  • Willing to fly to a location to meet (most guys are coming from midwest US)
  • Would prefer to see as few other people on the river as possible (secluded, wilderness type experience if possible)
  • Would like backcountry campsites each night
  • Would prefer moving water, with some excitement (moderate rapids)
  • Gear can be brought, but open to renting to make it easier to coordinate
  • Would like to rent canoes, but want self supported (no guide ideally)
  • Would like to keep cost reasonable for the attendees

One of the challenges will be getting from airport to river launch and from take out point back to airport. I’d like to make that as smooth as possible for the group without renting cars if we can. I assume we’d fly the day before, or leave the day after, but I’d like to keep the full duration of trip to a long weekend (3-4 days).

I’m looking for ideas for great rivers that fit most of these attributes, so if you know something that may work, please let me know! I really appreciate it! I know timing is tight and need to get moving quick!

Thank you so much,
Zack

Also, group ages range from late 20’s to early 30’s, and everyone is in relatively good physical condition, in case that helps narrow down options at all.

I’m waiting on the comments of "is every one bringing their beautiful stripper ? "

Most are only beautiful seen through an alcohol haze in dim light.

The hard part will be figuring out how to mount the poles to the canoes…

REI Kayak Yellowstone Lake…3days two nights on the lake…starts from Jackson Hole, Wy. Airport etc there in Jackson. Meet at outfitter night before for briefing and sizing. Next day they cart y’all and boats to lake. Good trip. Can also see Titons while there. There is a bar in Jackson with saddles for bar stools.

https://www.rei.com/adventures/search/keyword?q=Kayak+yellowstone

I really like the idea, BUT

May I respectfully and very strongly suggest you leave any drugs and/or alcohol until AFTER the trip? Just think how much more everyone will enjoy that cold beer after going the whole trip without one. Not to mention everyone arriving at their destination alive.

Somewhere on the Delaware River?

Kayaking the Colorado below Lake Mead near Vegas?

how are you going to get he strippers there?

Check out the 228 mile West Branch of the Susquehanna River Water Trail in Northern Pennsylvania. You can get the complete and very detailed waterproof trail map from the Lumber Heritage Center who publishes it (link below). This river has been proposed to become a National Wild and Scenic River and is quite a beautiful route that passes through deep shady canyons and more open farm land with lots of camp sites along it as well as small town stops where you can resupply (or hang out in a bar if the weather gets funky.) There are some moderate (Class 2) rapids and faster sections that would be easily negotiated by canoe.

There are several outfitters along it. My ex-boyfriend lives right on the river near one of outfitters, McCracken’s, in Shawville near Clearfield PA. In fact, you could camp in his meadow the first night since it is only about an hour downstream from the put in near McCracken’s – a lot of canoe parties do so since it is a large shady field with a fire ring. McCracken’s could help you arrange a 3 or 4 day trip downstream from their place near the Shawville Power Plant downstream of the dam, They rent quality We-no-nah canoes.

The biggest hassle would be getting everyone from an airport to the launch since it is not close to a major airport but that is going to be true no matter what river you paddle. It is about a 3 hour drive from Harrisburg or Pittsburgh. There is a small local airstrip only a couple of miles away (the ex kept a two-seater plane there). Perhaps you could arrange a private pilot to deliver you to the air strip but renting a passenger van at one of the airports and driving would make more sense.

The only problem might be low water if the late Summer is dry. The river is shallow with a shale bed in many areas. We used to be able walk across it during drought Summers and never get wet above the knees.

https://susquehannagreenway.org/susquehanna-river-water-trail-west-branch

https://lumberheritage.org/product/a-paddlers-map-and-guide-to-the-scenic-west-branch-susquehanna-river/

http://www.mccrackencanoe.com/trips-1.html

I> @Peter-CA said:

Somewhere on the Delaware River?

Kayaking the Colorado below Lake Mead near Vegas?

This suggestion would facilitate the stripper logistics.

@Sparky961 said:
I really like the idea, BUT

May I respectfully and very strongly suggest you leave any drugs and/or alcohol until AFTER the trip? Just think how much more everyone will enjoy that cold beer after going the whole trip without one. Not to mention everyone arriving at their destination alive.

Thank you! I had a vision of some peace-seeking paddle camper at Yellowstone or other park having their vacation utterly ruined by partiers within earshot, which is a long ways in natural settings!

Thanks everyone! And no need to worry about the group disturbing others or causing problems. We’re a respectful bunch. Just looking for suggestions on where to go.

@pikabike said:

Thank you! I had a vision of some peace-seeking paddle camper at Yellowstone or other park having their vacation utterly ruined by partiers within earshot, which is a long ways in natural settings!

Bears, mice, and other critters inhabit the near by camp sites on the Yellowstone Lake. One morning when we got up we noticed griz hair on the food hang pole.

@Overstreet said:

@pikabike said:

Bears, mice, and other critters inhabit the near by camp sites on the Yellowstone Lake. One morning when we got up we noticed griz hair on the food hang pole.

I know. I’ve camped at sites on Yellowstone Lake quite a few times. No grizzlies when we went.