Paddling clothing

I know
But the first time I looked out over the Yakima River Delta on a sunny calm day and saw the ice around the edges… I stuck my hand in and decided I wasn’t willing to go out alone, not that anything would happen… but if it did, I’d be dead.

It doesn’t hurt to have a wet suit but I’m chicken and the dry suit has given me a lot more days on the water.

Here’s a good link fo ya…
http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/ExpertCenter/How-to-dress/How-to-Dress-1.shtml

It saves money in the long run
If you paddle year round or even just three seasons in the north, you need a dry suit. Since buying one a few years back, I’ve used it 7-8 months of the year and haven’t worn any of the other immersion gear (neoprene) that I purchased prior to the dry suit, since the suit is more comfortable and more versatile.

To the original poster, I would like to mention that spring is actually the most dangerous time of the year and fall is probably the least so. In springtime, the air is warm but the water is VERY cold and the natural tendency is to under-dress. That can be a potentially fatal error.

Come fall, the water temp is still near it’s maximum and the air temps are generally mild. I find it to be the most pleasant time of the year to paddle, especially after most of the power boats are off the water.

Winter is obviously dangerous, but that’s the key, the dangers are OBVIOUS, so people tend to dress more appropriately. Besides, when the air is cold, you have to dress for it, so you’re dressing for the water conditions by default.