Would like to hear from those interested in day paddling and trips together in Fernandina Beach area. I’m new to Florida, from CA. Have Epic 18X sea kayak. Experienced paddler. Did long trips, but that was years ago. Have boat big enough to carry kayaks.
My favorite place to paddle is the Okefenokee… Not too far from you. Amazing wildlife.
Looks interesting, thanks!
Many possibilities in the Fernandina area.
A number of folks from the local paddling club (FSKA - fskme on Meetup) live in that area.
Some of the trips they do up in that area:
- Four Creeks State Forest (a number of trips)
- Nassau Sound (from Nassauville to ocean & back - with tide both ways)
- Lofton Creek
- Tiger Island
Some more ambitious trips (requiring the desire & skill)
(all include ocean and ICW - need to be aware of tides and comfortable with ocean paddling)
- around Amelia Island - roughly 30 miles
- around Jekyll Island (a bit north of Fern.) - 17 miles
- around Little Talbot Island - 13 miles
- around Cumberland Island - 47 miles
Note, if you go out on your own in the Fern. area - make sure to be aware of the tides.
The St Marys river screams out at max ebb (St Marys Entrance).
Particularly important if crossing from Fern. to Cumberland Island (eg: an outgoing stream against a pretty strong east wind makes for hazardous conditions)
Add to raisins outstanding list:
- Simpson Creek is very curvy and narrow (catch favorable tides either toward the ICW or toward Nassau Sound - you are forewarned)
- The entrance to Nassau Sound: 1) fun on quiet days with lots of beaches to explore, and 2) fun on rough days for kayak surfing or rough water skills