Paddling gloves

I’ve never had skin problems from
wearing gloves. I prefer to do without, but about three years ago I developed an unusual psoriasis causing thickened patches and cracking on my palms and on the sides of some fingers. It responds to a strong prescription steroid ointment.

The other thing that has helped is wearing some very light fingerless paddling gloves. It actually helps to have the gloves wet. They soften the thickened skin on my palms and later I can rub the thickened surface off, so that cracking is less likely.

I rowed and sculled for a number of years in my “youth” and my hands were always excellent, considering. I believe that hand wear and tear is very much an individual thing for paddlers, and that each person has to find how their hands respond to friction, shear forces, pressure, heat, cold, moisture, etc. The main thing is to invest some thoughtfulness. Oarsmen who didn’t know how to tend their hands sometimes got seriously infected.

Knuckle Busters
Been there. Done that a few times. Punching a rock is worse than slipping with a wrench in my opinion.

I still don’t wear gloves unless it’s cold but I’ve thought about using the BMX type gloves.

The sailing gloves might be better if they afford enough protection. My neo gloves generaly don’t last more than one season.

Not so
I get blisters if I don’t wear gloves, live in them year round. The p.net article is talking about things that chafe - properly fitting gloves don’t chafe.

Thanks
Thank you all for the info. I just saw the Doctor today. She said it could take up to 2 months for it to heal completly. I am definetly buying gloves with knucle protection.

I am leaning towards some gloves used in Motocross or Mountain biking. And I may cut the finger tips off.

John.

some models
already have the tips removed. Generally less knuckle protection with those though.