Paddling Gloves

Does anyone have a suggestion for their favorite paddling gloves? This is for San Diego so not for keeping my hands warm, more for keeping my hands from getting chewed up. Thanks!

FJ rain grip golf gloves

– Last Updated: Aug-08-14 4:03 PM EST –

I have used FJ Rain Grip golf gloves for the past 2 years and they work awesome. They have a feel on the paddle similar to no gloves. I mean, Neoprene gloves feel like you have mitts on your hands and you loose the 'feel of the paddle'. The FJ gloves have thin leather (or synthetic leather, im not sure) palms that dont add any 'bulk' to your hands. You retain 95% of the 'feel of the paddle'. I've tried batting gloves but the leather got too slippery when wet. I also tried mechanics gloves and I thought they were too thick and you lost the feel of the paddle. The rain specific golf gloves are the only thing I've found to be acceptable. I have a pair of neoprene gloves too, but only use them in cold weather (like less than 40 degree weather).

They provide a tiny amount of insulation (just from breaking the wind, no actual insulation)

I highly recommend the FJ Rain Grip gloves, and they're only $25 at Dick's

Just got a new pair
Bought a new pair of NRS boater gloves. There the fingerless type. The ones I had I wore quite a bit but started getting a whole in one glove so bought a new pair. They have redesigned them some and look even better now.

Oddball Suggestion
Lately, I’ve been using mechanic’s gloves with the “Snap-On Tools” logo. You can get them, or something just like them in auto-parts stores or in the auto-parts or hardware sections of many big-box stores. They are far cheaper than NRS paddling gloves (which I’ve used for years), and every bit as good, albeit made of slightly thicker material. They are less slippery on a wet paddle shaft than NRS gloves, but I have no problem at all with them being too grippy on a dry paddle shaft. In spite of the slightly thicker material (compared to NRS), the material still qualifies as “thin” and they are not uncomfortably hot or anything, and you can do things while wearing them such as manipulate tiny buttons on electronic cameras, etc.

cycling gloves

– Last Updated: Aug-08-14 2:47 PM EST –

with no fingers.

If you do both but only cycle or paddle occasionally they'll last a year or more, and they can be found cheap.

hmm
Never considered that…but golf gloves are typically thin enough to transmit a good “feel”. Once my gloves wear out I might have to try that!

Never waar’d gloves…
Except fer Glacier Gloves in de winter.

FE

Yep
no finger cycling gloves or gardening gloves with rubberpalms/fingers and a stretchy fabric back and elastic wristband. Both give a great grip even if wet

never liked cycling gloves for paddling
All that thick padding on the palms changes one’s grip on the paddle shaft, especially for someone with small hands (I have small hands). I found them especially awkward for the top grip of a canoe paddle, and keeping comfortable/proper contact when that hand was twisted in various ways (I realize this is probably not a concern for the O.P.). I used to use full-fingered mountain-bike gloves for rowing, but the grip on the oar handles is only with the fingers and end portion of the hand anyway, so the palm padding wasn’t part of the grip, and presented no problem.

Seriously
I agree. The padding gets in the way. Seriously, try FJ rain gloves. They are the best paddling glove available IMO. You retain the feel of bare hands with some protection.

Buff Pro Angler Gloves
I wear a pair of Buff Pro Series Angler gloves. I got them to protect my hands form the sun. They give great feel on the paddle and I can still tie knots when I fish. Plus they dry really fast and don’t hold in stink like other materials.

Thanks!
Sorry was at work all day and didn’t reply sooner.

Those are some great suggestions, thanks! Will look into them right away. My hands thank you!

3 for $10 work gloves at Home Depot nt

PowerTex
My wife found these great gloves (PowerTex Style 2200) in a little thrift store for $5 and I liked them so well that we went back to get another pair and there was only one pair left and they were my size. So now I’ve got a spare pair, but I can’t remember where I put them. Not that it matters, because the original pair is holding up very well.

I don’t know what these gloves were designed for, but they work perfect for paddling. The thumb and first two fingers are open on the ends and the other two fingers have reinforced tips. They are not waterproof, but they dry very quickly and are not slippery when wet. The palms are also reinforced. This is my second year on these gloves and they are as good as new. I paddle year round and have found they even work well when it’s chilly.

Gloves
I’ve been buying the same gloves for a few years now. They’re neoprene on the outside, with what seems a fake leather on the palm. I’ve found the same glove with two different names: U.S. Divers and Deep See. I usually get them from the dive section at Sports Chalet and the last I looked, they were $16.95, what I call a bargain! Last time I was in Hawaii, they actually had them at Walmart, which probably explains how I have two different names for them. I like them, as I’m not really interested in keeping my hands warm, but use them for a better grip and for rock gardening.

Kokatat Hand Jacket - light weight model
I’ve used a pair of these for 7 years (lots of paddling plus driving the lawn tractor), and they are still like new. Fit well, dry quickly and have minimal stink.

Cheers, Alan

Atlantic Kayak Tours

To keep your hands from getting Chewed
I’d recommend hockey tape on the paddle and a light grip. I’d also apply anhydrous lanolin to your hands about 30 minute before paddling. After it dries water will just bead up on your skin. Your hands will take much longer to become soft and shredded by the paddling action.

70+ degrees year round, no rain, and …
… there are recommendations for neoprene gloves, rain gloves, and padded synthetics?

Not for me. In fact, no gloves for me. You can’t feel sensuous curves properly with gloves on. Of course, if you’re talking about a non-wooden, tubular, Euro kayak shaft, then there’s not many erogenous curves to enjoy.

Were I a manual masochist in a San Diego climate, I would use thin white cotton dermatological gloves. I have used them in summers when I’ve had dry hands and they work well–cool, not sticky, not too slippery, dry fast in sun, and nicely transmit tactile stimulation from the smoothly addictive curves of a thuja plicata canoe grip.

Second the NRS boaters gloves. I
have the ½ fingered and full type. Great quality and well worth the money. Mine last a long time.

I also have their neoprene mitts for winter wear due to sensitivity to cold and any type of glove does not work for these fingers that suffered a bit of frostbite when very young.

I wear gloves as I don’t like blisters and/or callouses on my hands, even though at my age they’re greatly wrinkled. Gives better grip too.

Welcome to the world of kayaking/boating. Have good, safe fun on the water.

Cycling
Cycling gloves worked thebest for me over the years. Some cushioning yet fingers exposed to feel the blade.