Paddling Hat

waterproof
I use a hood for warmth and a sonora sombrero for sun yes it bends in high winds and looks silly. who cares it works. strap it down.

Condom hat. For really cold weather
I got a helmet liner from NRS. Fleece inside /neoprene out.Really warm.No brim though.

Have one but
am really looking for something best suited for current Cleveland conditions. The Seattle Sombrero that was mentioned here seems like a good fit. I’ve recently purchased a drytop, and would like something to compliment it. Not so much style wise, but function. It’s been a cold rain here for days, and the jacket has no hood. The NRS Mystery Storm Hood, I’ll save for colder conditions.

Filson
I am a big fan of the Wildfowl hat by Filson in waxed Tin Cloth. They also make a waxed ballcap. They are not cheap but will last forever.

Geoff

No, he’s just being smart
There’s a big difference between worrying about something and considering all the ramifications before making a gear purchase. Hoods on paddling gear that’s worn on the water are a bad idea, which is why there are few hooded garments marketed to paddlers. I know people who’ve had the experience that Bill alluded to and they now keep their hoods rolled up whenever they’re on the water, negating most of the benefit of having them. It’s better to have suitable hats for most conditions and a neoprene hood for nasty conditions.

Palm Straw
A palm straw hat sheds water, breathes, and can be shaped the way you like. I wear mine in rain and my head stays dry and the shape holds. People who live in the tropics have know this for many many years. The problem is they are hard to find. I have to go to hat makers to find them. They come as blanks. You soak them in water, shape, then wear until dry. They’ll hold up in wind and rain and you can add a drawstring if you want. Don’t confuse them with those preshaped staw hats you see on golf courses and at C&W concerts. Those won’t hold up to water. Another plus is you can dip them in water filling the crown. Pour that over your head, if paddling a SOT, then have a cool hat in the heat. I’ve done that in 100+ heat and it feels great.

3mm Neoprene Baseball Cap
During the summer, I dunk it in the water, when it’s cool, well, it’s 3mm of neoprene insulation on your head. It stays on while I quest for the elusive roll.

Lou

I just get some clear acrylic…
…and spray my head.

I second this thought
this hat works well here in SE Alaska and were no stranger to wind or rain

I’ll keep my hood…
…thank you.

Cheers,

JackL

A “hood”…
Heaven forbid !!!

Cheers,

JackL

LOL! , but seriously folks.
you really mustn’t wear a hood now, it could be dangerous.

cripes… if a hood prevents you from rolling, you can’t roll then. i roll with my Kokatat hooded jacket all the time.

a nice rain hat is the Kokatat Sou’wester and Nor’wester series of funny fisherman rain hats. they look kooky, and work well.

seriously
As I stated in my origonal comment about jackets with hoods, " Just my 2 cents". I…do not like jackets with hoods. They can fill with water, and they can hinder a clean roll. Same thing can happen with hats that are not cinched down on your noggin tight. I have seen it happen, believe it or not.