Paddling Laws?

What are the laws for kayaking and canoeing? All I can think of is most states require a PFD and you have to have a dive flag up when your using your yak to go diving. I can’t really think of any other laws. Are there any more?

A signaling device…

A white light at night

being?
A signaling device would be? theres many kinds of singaling devices. do these vary from state to state?

You should check with your …
kayak shop…

touche!

a biggy that lots of people miss is
the law that says not to impede navigation in shipping lanes.

Canoe and Kayak magazine has an article titled Rules of the Road and they discussed dealing with traffic. In the article was the following paragraph.

“Right-of-Way: Right-of-way is relative. Since kayaks are very maneuverable, it is legally up to us not to cause less-agile craft to come to grief. While there are some situations where you have right-of-way, you cannot assume that other boaters are able to see you or even know the rules. In narrow channels and passes, we must stay to the right, as close to shore as safely possible, and not impede larger vessels that must navigate certain areas to be safe. If it is too rough near shore, wait until there is no other traffic and go down the middle.”

It is no wonder to me that old Coasties dislike sea kayakers and think we should be kept close to shore and out of the way of commercial traffic. There are a lot of paddlers out there, myself included for a few years, that dont have a clue about navigating in busy waters. Whatever the case may be, don’t be foolish enough to think that as a smaller vessel you have the right of way at all times. I remember thinking that was the law when I was younger and a bit more foolish than I might be now. Remember the law of gross tonnage you might avoid a fine or better yet you might avoid getting hurt. Dont be the guy with cool nasty prop scars to display at the next campfire.

I see lots of paddlers impeding traffic around portland maine.

Not positive
But I think Mass. has made it law that you have to have a whistle and a compass.

Shawn

If you want opinion on the rules, read
the string. If you want the actual rules, then contact your local Coast Guard Auxillary. The rules vary from place to place, but typically are driven by the boat’s length and whether or not it is under power or not. Most of the rules are really written with power boats and sailboats in mind so it is imperative that you get the rules from your local CGA since they will be writing the citations based on their interpretation of the rules.

Throw line
You need a throwline of 15 meters or 50 feet in Canada, it is the law, but I don’t know how many people are aware, or how new the law is.

I think people should carry rope anyway, even on land :slight_smile:

Well said . . .
If you want opinion on the rules, read

Posted by: tinkerbell on Sep-07-04 7:35 AM (EST)

the string. If you want the actual rules, then contact your local Coast Guard Auxillary. The rules vary from place to place, but typically are driven by the boat’s length and whether or not it is under power or not.

------------------------------------------------

Transport Canada sets the rules and regs for north of the border and they do not vary - what holds true for BC goes in Labrador. Enforcement is through Coast Guard, three or four levels of police, parks officials and probably some others. Confused yet?

Read the regs, be informed. Some regs can be a bit baffling: most canoes and kayaks do not require a spare paddle - you do not need a paddle at all!!

Paul

Seconding Scottb
Law of tonnage rules.

When I was learning to sail, decades ago, I was taught that sail yields to paddle and power yields to sail.

However, since starting kayaking, I’ve been repeatedly informed that the law of tonnage trumps all else.

My wife and I encountered two fishermen loading their powerboat the other day who noted that kayakers were arrogant in their assumptions on the water. We noted, that it wasn’t always so, but every endeavor has irresponsible individuals.

people!
People I am not looking for a debate on Canadian boating regulations. I was wondering if there are any laws for paddling in Florida. I have never owned a real boat or even had much experience with boating. What are the laws you have to obey for paddling?

Florida?
That is the first you have mentioned Florida. I would suggest you check with you local Kayak dealer and see if they can help with this info.

U.S. Rules
"The rules vary from place to place, but typically are driven by the boat’s length and whether or not it is under power or not. Most of the rules are really written with power boats and sailboats in mind so it is imperative that you get the rules from your local CGA since they will be writing the citations based on their interpretation of the rules."

1. Rules do vary from place to place, e.g. International Waters, Inland Waters and Western Rivers (think there are five Ohio, Mississippi, Missouri, can’t remember the others).

2. The rules have nothing to do with a vessels length. Think you are talking about navigation lights. Most of the rules do have everything to do with ability to maneuver for the most part.

3. The Coast Guard Auxiliary do not write citations. They are a volunteer organization and are not a ‘Branch’ of the USCG. They are much like the US Power Squadron.

I am a U.S. Merchant Marine Officer and hold a Masters License.

Florida
What you truly need:

PFD on/in the boats, and a light if you paddle at night, which doesn’t have to be on all the time.

You might also need a whistle.

you might have troblems only if you don’t have a PFD.

I enter and exit Port Everglade next to US Coast Guard constatly, and a couples of times, I have forgotten my PFD. Nothing happend.

Regards,

Iceman

PFD’S
DONT GET CAUGHT BY DNR OR THE COAST GUARD IN EITHER INDIANA OR MICHIGAN WITHOUT THEM. YOUR CANOE/KAYAK WILL REMAIN AT THE NEAREST POINT OF SHORE WHILE YOU HIKE TO CIVILIZATION. AND FLOATING CUSHIONS DO NOT COUNT, MUST BE LIFE JACKET (ALTHOUGH YOU DONT HAVE TO BE WEARING THEM, GO FIGURE)