Paddling past the hips

Just Got Back From The Water
Here’s what I learned:

Just like on a bike, I don’t stay in the same position and move the same way all the time. In the yak I often find myself powering the boat from a leaned back, low angle stroke with a lot of torso involved. It is totally natural for me to paddle beyond the hips when paddling this way. I tried to finish powering the stroke at the hips in this position and it was a mess. No way.

However, when I switched positions to a forward leaning, higher angle stroke, the stroke ended naturally very near the hips. I get a little less torso help in this position but I find myself using it mostly when paddling into the wind.

While I’m here, let me preach some. I have had my butt kicked by road bikers who had really bad “flaws” in their riding styles. Don’t get all screwed up trying to imitate someone’s idea of a good way of doing something. Some people do the high jump facing the bar, some people jump higher doing it backwards.

"leaned back… it was a mess"
Go figure! L

I Come Here For The Criticism

– Last Updated: Sep-05-05 4:54 PM EST –

Yes, brother Greyak, leaning back is unorthodox, but my buddy in his QCC700 never seems to wear me down. Some folks jump higher facing the bar. Some jump higher with the bar to their back.

While I'm here...

A while back someone asked about leaning to turn a boat. I replied something like "yeah, on a bike you lean right to turn right. In a kayak you lean left to turn right." I was amazed at the number of people who posted that they leaned right to turn right in their boat. It illustrated to me just how new kayaking is (to non-Eskimoes anyway) compared to bicycling. Lots left to figure out.

Thanks for the follow-up Kudzu
I will also follow up- I have been trying to rotate my torso more in the past few months. Consequently, the hips move somewhat back. Although the blade is past my hips, the hands are fairly close to the end of the hips while rotating. It depends how you draw the line from the hands to the hips- is it 90 degrees from the boat or at the angle of the hips to the hand?

Performance
I think if your boat is behaving well for you, you’re doing fine. If it’s keeping a nice straight line and you’re going as fast as you’d like to go and you feel comfortable with your stroke… everything’s great.

Personally, my torso rotation is above the hips. The butt doesn’t slide in the seat. I focus on my chest facing left and right so my definition of ‘at the hips’ is at 90 degrees from the boat.

ok just to stir the pot…
How would this apply to a GP? Seems to me that since you have a lot more blade in the water it would be almost impossible to not utilize a little movement past the hips even though you may not be exerting force. I understand the GP will almost release itself as it is a lot more bouyant?

I too try to show my chest to each shoreline and don’t find myself squirming around in my seat much…all from the torso…but it depends if I am thinking about it. I am pushing down on the footpegs as i unwind.

I should be getting a Beale in the next few weeks and am anxious to see how it differs.

Paul

Definately agree
and been there done that, near swimming lessons.

Brian

SoFlo

Best info I have read lately
but more so in relation to shoulder injury is… your elbo should never go back beyond your shoulder or above your shoulder. If your paddling beyond your hip and this does occur, I would say your stroke is unhealthy. Good torso rotation and relatively stiff arms should prevent this but something to think about, it made a lot of sense to me.

Brian

Amateur paddling extrordinaire

Early catch with loose hand.
Good catch (pun intended)… a catch farther forward with a looser grip does not really make sense in terms of raw efficiency (vertical, fully buried paddle, etc.). But just in time to respond, I heard this weekend from Jed and Tom Bergh what might be the real reason for the manuever – a smooth paddle entry.

The idea is to spear the water forward with the blade going in tip first rather than slap or even just lay it down face first. Spearing is a smoother entry and creates a lot less turbulence and bubbles. Turbulence and air bubbles behind the blade, once started, can follow the stroke a long way and noticably reduce efficiency. Quiet body, quiet boat, and in this case, quiet blade.

If this makes sense, then we have yet another case of the right thing in paddling technique being explained with the wrong reason (mea culpa).

–David

Actually, I lean
to either side for either direction.

It depends upon whether I want my stern anchored or sliding. This decision is based upon wind and/or current as well as momentum and which side I want to make my sweep from.

Holmes