Paddling shoes

Anyone have a pair of these? Let me know opinions on them. I have been searching high and low for some type of shoe to paddle in. These look really neat and comfortable…I think.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Bought a pair a year ago
They are fantastic sandals. I absolutely love them. I wear them all the time in the spring and summer.

However, the type I have, the original that are very low on your feet don’t make great paddling shoes. They come off my heal way too easily. Perhaps the newer version that come up the ankle more would make a better paddling shoe.

Matt

Are they Cool or Dorky?
My first thought was this is a kinda cool concept. I want a pair. $70! Whoa, lets think about this…Less shoe for more money? This does not appeal to my practical side like Crocs do.

It only took a few moments for the novelty of these Flintstone Flip-Flops to wear off. I realized that the indivual toes will not have any practical benefit to paddle sports. I also became concerned that all the seams between the toes are additional places for failure. Theere are also more places for sand and stones to get trapped when walking on the shore.

Finally it became clear that everyone will be staring at your feet if you wear these Foot Gloves. There is no doubt they are attention getters. I am just not sure the attention will necessarily be positive. I suppose a male with big feet and a female with small feet are more likely to pull these things off. But these people better already better have a cool look before slipping on these Toe Condoms. If a dork wears these Five-Toed Treads, then they will only look even more dorky.

I guess I am not sure who will gravitate towards these Sausquash Sandals: The outdoorsy trendsetters or the fannypack-wearing googans.

LOL!!

– Last Updated: Dec-21-07 3:03 PM EST –

Why separate your toes? Are they going to fuse together if you don't?

Check these out…
…they are called “Helly Hansen Manifestos,” and I’ve been using them for close to a year now. They are fantastic in both summer and winter. They have uppers that have a wire mesh under the mesh exterior that makes water just pour out, as well as mesh in the sole for the same purpose. Their heel box is hard enough to prevent that sore heel after a day of paddling, and their sole is rigid enough to keep feet from becoming sore against footpegs. They are also great for wearing on shore, hiking around, running in a river-crossing environment, etc. I feel like I’ve struck footwear gold with these things: http://www.hellyhansen.com/sport/index.php?menu=5&id=173&contentID=p389&action=product

Who cares if they’re cool or dorky.
That would be the least of my worries. Only the weak-minded and confidence-challenged have such concerns.

However, the added places for failure is a strong point against these. As is the potential for san in all but the high-ankle versions. And to me, I think they would not only be a pain in the behind to put on and take off, but they look uncomfortable as could be. Lastly, I have enough trouble finding a shoe that fits, and these look like they would almost need custom-fitting to really avoid irritation points along your toes . . . .

Besides, price is a bit steep imo.

Mion
I think Mion is on to a cool concept with their molded one piece foam uppers. However, I can not justify paying over $100 for a 15 cents worth of foam and no manhours to assemble. While I like light weight and water impermeability, they seem like they may have durability issues. Even this I don’t mind if priced as disposable shoes.

If they sold their shoes for $40 or less, the Mion line might catch on. Here is a link:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/26150009/c/113750.html

Ouch Baby…That hurts
I guess I know who the fannypack wearing googan is.

funny post!

– Last Updated: Dec-21-07 3:19 PM EST –

I'm also a bit dubious. The Time mag billing only adds to that.

I just don't get spending so much for paddling-specific footwear. Give me my old chotas or rubber sandals any day; they're gonna be on my footpegs 99% of the time.

I hate wearing any shoes so to me they look confining and binding. Love to hear from people who paid to wear these but otherwise I'd say the emperor has no sandals.

windsurfers
I think these were designed with windsurfers in mind. They give you the ability to grip with the toes and still provide some protection to the feet.

Mion…
I have the “Current” sandal and I absolutely love these shoes, but NOT for paddling. Paddling is the reason I purchased them, though. They are fine for getting wet, draining, etc. However, the molded foam upper that makes the shoe so comfortable (the separate sole helps,too)also allows for my foot and toes to roll out of the shoe. Would be okay for stationary sitting positions such as in a kayak and hit n switch canoe paddling, but I move around in the boat and am off my heels in various kneeling positions and the shoe just does not stay put. Also, going up or down any grade, say at a put-in or take-out, and my foot and toes also roll out of the shoe; not so great if you are carrying a canoe over your head. Also occurs in shallow swift water if you have to get out of the boat for some reason;ie lunch stop.

All that being said I wear them constantly in more moderate weather (snow and ice excluded) and find that they are by far the most comfortable shoes I have ever had on my feet.

Cheaper option
I looked into the monkey-paw shoes recently. They were originally designed and engineered for people who are into barefoot running. The reasoning is that full articulation of your foot bones and joints while running barefoot returns your gait to what nature intended, and so reduces stress and impact injuries; that’s why the toes are separate. I don’t know if that’s true or not - because of price, I couldn’t quite pull the trigger, particularly with Teva Protons on sale for only $20. These are what I bought, in spite of the color figuring they’ll be inside the boat most of the time…

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39304792

Cheers,

Ok, now a fanny pack IS too dorky . . .
You got me on that one. I would NOT wear a fanny pack even in the most remote area on earth. I think even the wildlife would make fun out of anyone wearing one of those . . . .

:wink: