Paddling shoes

What do you guys wear while on the river/lake/ocean? I have a sit on top, so I don’t have to worry about bulk much. Just wondering whats out there

Look here
nrsweb.com, anything by Chota, others out there including major brands of a broad range of sports shoes like Merrill or 5-10 or Keene. And my mukluks are actually diving dry boots.

Your mukluks are diving dry boots?
Not mine. They leak over the top - my calves are too small.

Astral Designs
Uber non-slip, so you can scale slimy rocks look good enough for street use, don’t hold water so they dry while on your feet. Make them into tall boots by adding SealSkinz Socks or Kokatat Launch Sock.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Not being a scuba diver…
I assume there is a reason the divers call them dry boots. There is a closure up top which might be more effective with a scuba dry suit or something. But yeah, combined with paddling clothing, or used as canoeing boots with just synthetic pants, they let in water over the top.

But they are totally dry up to that point, and a mill thicker than most paddling mukluks. I have found them to be great cold weather boots because they trap heat quite well.

NRS
You don’t need to go any further than NRS–NRS Boundary Boots for the cold time and NRS Cross 4 wet shoes for warmer weather. Augment the Boundary boots with neoprene booty socks and you’re set.

On the Boundary boots, you will need to go a couple of sizes bigger so there is room for the booties and maybe some socks.

One accessory that you will want is an electric boot drier.

Teva in the summer

– Last Updated: Mar-26-15 1:54 PM EST –

Old pair of the universal original sandal. Comfortable, and I've hiked wearing them. My launch areas always involve sand. Easily washes out of the sandals without removing them.

Spring and fall, SmartWool socks under 5mm neoprene wetsuit socks. Kept my feet warm and dry into November. Liked the neoprene, but the soles are soft and I want something firmer between my feet and the foot braces.

Kokatat Nomad boots

– Last Updated: Mar-26-15 1:01 PM EST –

I've got all kinds of paddling footwear, from Teva-type sandals, sneaker type water shoes with draining soles, above the ankle diving boots, felt soled fishing wader boots, to a pair of Kokatat Nomad boots.

I bought the Kokatats figuring I would use them for cold water use with my drysuit or deep muddy put-ins. Honestly, since I got them I just don't use any of my other footwear any more, even on warm days. the built in gaiter is breathable Goretex and the dive-shoe like hard sole is great for walking. My feet stay dry, warm and comfortable no matter when and what I am paddling. Got mine on sale for around $60 but I would gladly pay $120 for another pair if I lost these.

If I am canoeing on a warm day I sometimes push the gaiter down around my ankle while in the boat. But most of the time I don't find it necessary. I have even taken them in my daypack on long hikes here in PA where we often have shallow stream crossings. They are great for that.

I wear Viakix (www.viakix.com). They are lightweight and comfortable. Not heavy duty but perfect for my paddling…

Warm weather = Keens + light weight fin socks. I have to wear a sock of some sort with river sandals to avoid blisters. The fin socks aren’t hot & stinky like neoprene socks.
Cooler weather = Seal Skin knee high dry socks + either Keens or Astrals.
Dry suit = Astral water shoes.

It depends on where! and whether you sit or kneel while paddling or even stand!
Portage trips that are rough I change into hiking boots after getting gear on shore… Normal portage trips Merrell Maipos cause the sole actually gives traction on lichen on granite.
Cold water river trips Chota Mukluks
Warm water mucky trips like the Green. The same booties I wear with my drysuit. Neoprene.
Never sandals as I hate gravel in the sandals and our rivers are rock lined rather than ooze lined…
Arctic rivers… Real boots with felt liners or heavy wool socks.

Now that you see that the question is more complicated than one size fits all. Cause it doesn’t

Keen H2 or Chota Mukluks. I paddle SOT year round but it seldom gets very cold here.

I wear a pair of Sperry Son-R water shoes I got at West Marine. They get a lot of wear. Typically all year long once a week average. During the winter they are joined by a pair of NRS Hydroskin Socks. I wore these at Yellowstone one whole summer, both days. :wink: We have a saying that those that try not to get wet while getting into a kayak often get all wet falling down. So the shoes get wet a lot. A firm sole is needed for rocks, roots, and shell. It is also required for the foot pegs. Hours of pressing on the foot pegs without some support will give you sore feet. Most times this is all that is needed in Florida and Georgia.

Chota seems to have cut their paddling shoe options quite a bit from when I bought my short boots from them several years ago. I have a pair of their non-absorbent synthetic “felt” soled short wader booties that are great for situations where I know I will have to “walk” my boat through shallow streams with slimy rock beds. Unfortunately, those were discontinued. They still make the nice but costly Quicklace Mukluks, one pair of gloves and one type of socks, but that’s about it. I guess the fishing customer base is more profitable.

Walking, paddling, or driving, I generally prefer to be barefoot (and, for paddling, to keep shoes handy in case I need to get out where there are things that could hurt my feet). In winter, I sometimes just put a long pair of neoprene socks over my drysuit booties. I find them fine to walk across pavement for the short distance from my car to the ramp. But lately, I have been using some Croc water shoes (the “Swiftwater Sandal” that I really like. They are pretty comfortable, low profile, easy to put on and remove, dry quickly, don’t trap sand or gravel that much, and have stayed on in moderate muck. They also make nice camp shoes to keep near tent if I have to get up late at night or early in the morning go pee (i.e., not a production with socks and laces, etc…just put them on in 5 sec and out the door)…

Related, I guess: can someone explain why both NRS and Astral are heavily marketing paddling shoes with laces now? Am I nuts? I went to a small-group lesson with a friend of mine who just bought a pair, and the laces were sooooo long that once tied they formed loops about 5 inches in diameter. The instructor made him change before getting in his boat.

@RLL said:
Related, I guess: can someone explain why both NRS and Astral are heavily marketing paddling shoes with laces now? Am I nuts? I went to a small-group lesson with a friend of mine who just bought a pair, and the laces were sooooo long that once tied they formed loops about 5 inches in diameter. The instructor made him change before getting in his boat.

All I own are laced Astrals. Lots of instructions on the Internet on how to tie so there’s no bows. I double tie and bow so there’s no loopage that can catch on anything.