Paddling the Pine Lands in NJ

Hi Everyone,
I am fairly new to canoeing. I am planing a paddeling trip in the Pine Lands in NJ. Any suggestions?

Send a PM to a guy with the user name “FatElmo” and ask.

Offer him some Tang and a couple of cans of Spam and he will take good care of you.

@pblanc said:
Send a PM to a guy with the user name “FatElmo” and ask.

Offer him some Tang and a couple of cans of Spam and he will take good care of you.

That’s funny. And great advice.

Fat Elmo is a real person. And a good guide for the Pine Barrens. You can get away with offering him Spring these days… He is tired of canoeing in the snow. Of course FE is not his real name…

Meanwhile http://www.pinelandsadventures.org/spring-and-summer-overnight-camping-tips-for-the-pines/

really cool trips. Frustrating for kayakers unless you dont mind filling your craft with branches and leaves… The streams are for the most part narrow

The Pine Barrens of southern NJ are a nice place for a day paddle. Many streams to choose from but all are twisty, shaded streams with surprisingly clear and moving water. The ability to navigate in very tight corners and hit very narrow passages in current is essential. Some of the nicest streams I have paddled include the Toms River from the rt70 bridge downstream to the town of Toms River. Another is the Great Egg Harbor River; there are two sections, the upper being very narrow and shallow in dry times, the lower from a park at an historic forge to the public park on Lake Lenape. Be aware that all the popular streams have outfitters, so on a nice weekend day you will have lots of company, most of whom are directionally challenged paddlers. If you take along a fishing net, you can often retrieve full cans of chilled beverages from the stream bottom rolling along in the current. Fat Elmo is the patron saint of New Jersey and is familiar with the local dialects spoken in the Pine Barrens. And watch out for overhanging vines, many are the NJ state plant, Poison Ivy.
Bill