Paint for inside of Kevlar hull

I removed all of the epoxied in tie-down hardware and the contact cemented kneeling pads from a Milbrook ME. I’d like to paint the inside of the hull before putting the woodwork back on. I don’t have a sprayer. What paint is recommended?

Also, I’m going to epoxy in tie downs for saddle and thigh straps. Do I have to do that before painting the inside of the hull? I’d rather paint first, if that’s ok.

Thanks in advance.

Lot of paddlers and even shops use auto
primer in the spray can; quick, easy, pretty durable, easy to match later, etc. Most seen to use gray.

:^)

Mick

It would be better to epoxy the ties in
before painting, just because it will save you having to remove the paint later on.

Personally, I would prefer to paint on a coat of UV resistant spar varnish than use paint. In fact I might not put anything on unless sun seemed to have degraded the resin so much that my hand could scuff up Kevlar fibers with rubbing. Recall ericnyre citing evidence that UV actually strengthened Kevlar, though I suppose eventually it must degrade it. I have never seen any rush to paint over the Kevlar interior of older lake boats, where the sun exposure must be greater than on WW canoes.

perhaps I should have mentioned
… the hull is already painted gray on the inside. It just looks pretty messy from removing 12 tie downs and 8 minicell pads.

white epoxy barrier coat
think its called prime coat or something now, gives a nice white pretty abrasion resistant finish. Used it on the inside of my north shore that was starting to get fuzzy around where my heels where.

White too bright for open canoe.
Don’t think you would like the glare on a bright sunny day.

:^)

Mick

Durabak
I would use this:

http://www.durabakcompany.com/smooth-durabak.htm

It’s nonskid coating, scratch resistant, but not glossy pretty. Will not flake off.

whoops canoe
maybe he just needs sunglass’s, and a decked boat with both halves of his paddle :wink:

call Dave
I’ll bet that if you call Dave Curtis at Hemlock Canoe he’d tell you what he uses. I’d trust Dave…his boats from the early 80’s are already proven to hold up well for years (and generally look better and feel tighter than most new boats) and whatever he’s using in his new boats also stands up well in my experience.

paint and tie downs
Curtis painted their FG hull interiors with a surfactent treated gel. [Wax.]

That is difficult to acquire and apply in home use, especially with rails, thwarts, etc onboard.

AN easier way out would be to scuff sand and ue a good quality porch and deck paint - easily repaired as needed, but you’ll want to epoxy/plexus/whatever your attachment points in first, for a point to hull bond.

If you go the more trobelsome surfactent treated gel coat route, that will bond to the hull, kinda. [Sounds like you are decades away from cross linkage possiblities.] Scuff sand, acetone wash a couple times and bond top the new gel. Maybe prayer will help with the bond.

porch paint!
That’s the answer I was kind of hoping for. I’m really not trying to make a huge/expensive deal out of this. I just want to freshen it up a little before putting the wood back on.

I’ve had good luck with Duron. Maybe I’ll pay them a visit tomorrow. Thanks.

Painting inside of kevlar canoe
You can use epoxy to paint the inside with, and tint it any color you desire. You can even use food coloring from your kitchen to tint epoxy with.

painting kevlar interior
I had some damage to a glass on kevlar canoe and after repairs painted the interior with porch and deck paint. I snaded the interior first, just to clean and slightly rough up. Most interiors are not fully saturated so that the surface is rough anyhow.

The paint has done well. A few small chips have been knocked out but are easily re-painted. Pour you paint on a Mason jar for storage. It’ll last a long time. Good Luck

John S.