painters/bow and stern ropes

Getting my canoe (Mad River Explorer 14) rigged bit by bit for downriver canoeing (up to class 2). Want to install painters (bow and stern lines), but have a question about attachment point and how to secure them to avoid entanglement risk.

My canoe has both a molded-plastic deck plate with a carry handle, and a haul loop affixed through holes drilled through the hull. Initially I thought of attaching the lines to the carry handle, but then wondered if that was a strong enough attachment point. Not sure quite how strong the deck plate attachment is. If I attach them to the haul loop, should I do it on the part outside the hull or inside?

In terms of securing the lines, I was planning on drilling a couple of holes vertically through the deck plate, then running a length of stretch cord through to stuff the line under. Does that seem sufficient?

securing painters
If you take a swim with your canoe in whitewater you would like to have your painters secured well enough that they will not come unstowed if the boat goes through a hole or two, but will be easily accessible with the hull upside down or on its side, and reasonably easy to deploy when needed.

I secure painters to the outside of the grab loops running through the hull using either a bowline or figure of eight knot. Using that attachment point, the secured end of the painter is readily accessible. I usually secure them on top of the deck plates. I have found that 2 loops of shock cord secure the painters better than one. Drill four holes in the deck plate and run one length of shock cord making a “Z” pattern on the underside of the deck plate.

I would suggest making the painters no longer than the length of the canoe.

securing painters
That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Pack Canoe vs Coleman
On my Coleman Ram 16, I screwed Padeyes to the deck plate. One to secure my Painter, the other two with bungie to hold the painter-bundle.

On my OT Pck-12, I drilled a hole in the bow as high as I could, ran an eye-bold and washer (curved to match the bow) with another curved washer and nut inside. My painter clips to this (as well as my security cable) and is stored in a bag made for an 8 oz water bottle with this bag clipped to a run-line inside and under the gunwales.

On my kayaks, I clip the painter to my carry-handle, the painter is stored insiode another water-bottle cover and shoved under the deck-bungie.

grab loop
I would tie the painters to the grab loop outside the hull - that assumes that the grab loop is strong enough and the knot is secure. something to check once in a while, see that the grab loop is not wearing thru on the edges of the holes.

painter lines most often are secured to the deck plates - I have floatation bags in my boats (mostly) and just stuff the "coiled’ lines between the bag and the bag cage strings - that’s always worked for me, even if swimming. I like to leave a longish tail, maybe 2 feet or so sticking out from the rest of the coil, which makes it easier to just find that end and pull - floating painter lines are best

you might velcro
I have been playing with velcro I have a silky rope that loves to stick to it. I have a large patch that came with stickum on it on the bow and stern I lay the rope back an d forth across the velcro with the loops down thru the hand hole out of the way and leave a tail to grab. I like it because it won’t get suck or tangled. and it peels right off the velcro. No extra loops or shock cord to tangle up. Just a rope flat on the deck. No problem being wet or frozen. You just rip it off. and all the loops are hidden under the deck. It pays out of the hand hold.