painting tyvek?

I’m thinking about making a partial spray cover for my canoe - doing some long ocean crossings this summer. but the thought of that bright white patch right in front of me makes me squint already.

I know there is a paint that will stick, since the manufacturer manages to stick their name all over the stuff. Has anyone tried painting it?

Paint?
I suspect that the “Tyvek” printed all over Tyvek is ink, not paint. And it’s probably ink especially made to print on Tyvek.

Krylon Fusion or similar paint might stick “ok”, but I would expect it to flake off eventually.

You might want to experiment with an alcohol based aniline dye.

Or better yet, make your spray cover out of proper spray cover stuff.

Mintjulep is correct.

– Last Updated: Mar-07-08 11:12 AM EST –

The printing on Tyvek is ink, not paint. Tyvek is very printable. When I rep'd for Tyvek, I had 8x10 sheets of sample stuff, and supposedly (although I never tried it) it was supposed to be printable through an inkjet printer. Any kind of dye would work.

Keep in mind, though, that the Tyvek will not last more than one season. Creases, folding it, roughing it up, as well as UV damage will cause it to begin deteriorating within a few months exposure. It's rated for daily UV exposure when installed to no more than 3 months before it should be covered by siding. Keeping it on your canoe, but out of UV light should help it last at least a little longer.

Edited to add: BTW, jack's response to me had me wondering about your reasoning as well. If it's for the "breathability", fogetaboutit. The material is advertised to allow moisture vapor to be released. It's not a quick process, like days. That's good enough for an exterior wall, but you will notice no difference in your time in a canoe versus saran wrap. No difference in a few hours at all . . . .

How much time you got?
Buy a couple hundred Sharpies in the color of your choice and get busy! I can just imagine the designs you could come up with.

-rs

Ya gotta have art
Actually, I got on an artist’s website and apparently the stuff is catching on for all kinds of painting, even watercolors.

Tyvek?
If you are going to go to all the trouble of making one yourself, then there is only one material to use: Sunbrella marine fabric. It will last forever and is water resistant for quite a few years.

Not to get off track, but…
I made a rain coat out of a yellow poly tyvek suit. I just cut the legs off of it. Pull it over and zip up. It packs well, and keeps me dry.

Good luck with the spray cover!

-Jeff