Pakayak kayak

Check out the The Pakayak Bluefin 14 take apart kayak - a hard-shell 14-foot kayak that nests inside itself to 3 1/2 feet and packs into a bag. On Kickstarter. Check it out

impractical
I checked it out. Nothing new there. Companies like Point 65 have made modukar kayaks for years as have some of the higher end composite makers. And there is no way the average person can haul 55 pounds of plastic on their back as they are illustrating. there are plenty of competent folding and inflatable kayaks that weigh half what that break down model does. I wish them luck with their campaign, but it’s neither a new concept nor a very attractive one at that weight.

but it’s “nesting”!
I hate to be a pessimist but I agree. It reminds me of some of the folding bike compromises.

Airport
I love the airport photo on their website; she’s probably going to try to take the kayak as carry-on luggage and stuff it into the overhead…

@willowleaf said:
impractical
I checked it out. Nothing new there. Companies like Point 65 have made modukar kayaks for years as have some of the higher end composite makers. And there is no way the average person can haul 55 pounds of plastic on their back as they are illustrating. there are plenty of competent folding and inflatable kayaks that weigh half what that break down model does. I wish them luck with their campaign, but it’s neither a new concept nor a very attractive one at that weight.

The Point 65 Point Mercury GTX Modular Solo Kayak which is as long as the Pakayak weighs 55 pounds so how is that any better? I was able to go out in a Pakayak demo boat last year it was as nice as any non modular kayak and looked great. Yes 55 pounds is heavy I agree but as 61 year old 112 pound lady I can not car top a traditional kayak and I do not have a small truck so Pakayak it is for me.

I’m not seeing any specs for this boat on the website - how hard is it to list the length, beam and weight?

It’s hard to get a read on how it might paddle from the pictures. It has an odd profile, i.e. massively deep at the cockpit, to make it nest, no doubt. Sealed compartments are a bonus, of course, but not sure that’s worth a 30 pound weight penalty compared to a folder.

RaggedyAnn: You could get a Pakboat Quest 150 kayak that only weighs 31 pounds or a slightly smaller Saco model at 23 pounds. I have several Pakboat kayaks and, as an average sized 67 year old woman, have no trouble loading any of them on the roof of my SUV. And they fit, folded down, in a standard rolling suitcase that you can fly with or stash in the trunk of a car. Cheaper than the Pakayak too, and in stock now.

Here is an under 6 pound folding recreational kayak for something a bit different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoLi_XCnBo

I should point out they don’t include a PFD in their add.

Looks like a half pitched tent.

@castoff said:
I should point out they don’t include a PFD in their add.

Are you sure she isn’t wearing an inflatable?

Notice how gingerly they are paddling that “JustinCase” thing. With that flat bottom it’s a flimsy novelty boat that would be wildly unstable in anything but glass-flat water. And the drag on anything that flexible must be horrendous. Now the Trak is justifiably impressive, they always have been top of the line folders (along with the now-defunct Feathercraft) – IF you can afford one. I think they are around 4 grand and you have to pay oversized luggage rates to fly with it.

The video did not include Pakboats, but their owner, Alv. probably wouldn’t have bothered to pay the promotional fee that bit likely required.

Vid went on and on… Interesting Trak 2. Touring skin on frame.

@Overstreet said:
Interesting Trak 2. Touring skin on frame.

The Trak 2 was the one I was interested in also. I need to start a crowd source fund so I can afford one!

Flotsam, you have enough boats.