Pamlico 100 flotation

Hello all,

This is my first post at paddling.net. I have been reading the boards and articles all winter waiting for the weather to warm up here in Ontario.

I purchased my first boat yesturday - a Pamlico 100. I was originally going to go for a 14’ rec/touring boat but decided to get something that would fit in my apartment elevator and be a fun play thing for learning some confidence this season (in preparation for next year where I will have a house with some storage for a larger boat).

I have the wilderness systems pamlico full skirt ordered as well as a NRS wetsuit coming.

Along with the kayak I purchased a set of float bags (2 bags). I was originally going to put 1 in the bow and 1 in the stern. After seeing how this setup works, I think I might go with 2 bags in the bow and 2 in the stern.

Until I make a rec kayak paddling partner to play around with I will primarily be going out solo on a small man made lake (Laurel creek for those who know K/W) alone. I want to have the confidence that if something were to happen and my boat got swamped, that I would be able to have sufficient flotation to do a self rescue. I know given that it is a rec boat and the likelyhood of capsizing is small, I always have been one to prepare for the worst case scenario.

For those that have experience with the Pungo/Pamlico breed of WS boats - how much flotation would you recommend in order to be able to perform a self rescue?

So again - greetings to all of you!

Paddlefloat
…PFD, paddlefloat, pump, float plan, strobe, sponge, find someone to teach rolls and a wet exit. Until you are comfortable…find a paddle partner…

Floatation
I took a pool class for white water boats in the late winter so I am fairly confident with wet exit. Also have a paddlefloat and all of the other gear.

I don’t think rolling the Pamlico would ever be a possiblity though!

I’ll second that…
…you’d have to try hard to capsize a Pamlico

100. with a wide 30" beam and barely a foot high,

this boat is very stable, and it’ll take on water

before going over. That also means it’ll resist

being rolled. better to wet exit and do either a

paddle float or cowboy re-entry.

Try it
There’s just no substitute for experience. Try capsizing the boat (By hand, from outside) then re-entering while in 4-5 feet of calm water. Then you will quickly get a feel for what it takes to get back in and get the water out.

Wear your PFD and have a friend handy in case you get in trouble. I’ll bet you find out that the amount of flotation you have is not as important as making sure it’s located so that the boat is relatively level when swamped, and the coaming is above water after you get back in the boat.

Also, don’t fill the bags too full. They need space so that heat and changes in air pressure (or altitude) don’t cause them to leak.