paracord as painter

Home Depot
Carries a floating poly in 3/8" that comes in “non-yuppie” colors and won’t slip out of or hurt your yuppie hands or make them have to fish the sunken line out from between the submerged snags. You can have all the yuppie benefits without everyone spotting your yuppie cordage from a distance and scorning your yuppiehood (unless you paddle something better than a Coleman - in that case, there’s no escaping it).

Look For “Ranger” Cord
Is braided, and a little thicker but still MilSpec

He asked about the weight…
Well, you need to have some sort of comparison… Better than:

“cut 1 inch of each and see how much they weigh”.

AND that just goes to show that 100’ of paracord is not only lighter, but also takes up less space (by far).

Paddle easy,

Coffee

LMAO!!!
Hey Steve…

Kinda off track, but the two man tent thread has me wondering. Was it you you that I sold my Eureka Apex3XTA to?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Sure.
But the thread is about painters.

Nope.

– Last Updated: Jun-11-10 5:06 PM EST –

I don't even know what that is.

Edit: Okay, had to look. Decent looking tent. My outback tent for many years has been one that is exactly like the Eureka Timberline 2, but a different brand and two-tone tan and green. Still using it and not looking to change.

Larger and weaker
A painter isn’t really there to rescue the boat from a pin. Get a larger, weaker rope. Something in the 3/8 to 1/2 range that floats and has a breaking strength of 50 to maybe 200 lbs. A small line that is strong can cut into your hands or any other body part if you get entangled. A larger, weaker rope will do the job, be more comfortable, and break before tearing limbs off if things get really bad in moving water.

Entanglements aren’t likely, but if they do, you don’t want a thin strong line wrapped around you.

jim

Yeah, but if you know how to tie knots,
… tying a knot is much faster than threading a length of rope through a loop as a means of attachment.

no it is not …

– Last Updated: Jun-12-10 10:02 AM EST –

..... and it's more difficult to unattach a knotted rope as oppossed to the loop attach as well .

Depending on the size of the loop you have , you can pass the intire length of rope through the loop in a couple seconds without the need to consider it any further (think about it) ...

A quick loop attach is secure to the point of being nearly impossible to come apart or fail , short of the rope breaking .

A loop attach also has multi purpose function . Here's just one of many examples , say you want to get your rope attached to something over head but out of reach , but you are able to toss the loop end of the rope over the object ...

another is the ability of the loop to act as a pully doubling the amount of pulling force afforded the puller ...

another , the loop attach is an extremely fast , strong and relieable connection for joining two ropes together to increase length for an expected load situation ... both rope looped ends join through each other ...

another , think of dock lines and boat cleats ... put that on steriods and think of ships dock lines and cleats with 2' (or larger) rope (try tying a knot in one of those) ...

The knot that can compromise the breaking strength of a rope , can be virtually eliminated with the loop attach . The loop attach can double the abrassion resistence etc. , at the attach point , meaning two thicknesses of rope by default rounding the attachment point .

Using a loop attach is about as easy , convenient , safe and secure as it gets .

I'm a firm believer in having the ability to tie up some good knots when they are needed , and I use a few as well . But the loop attach for one end of the rope can't be beat in 99 out of a hundred situations .

Steve…
Sounds like a Diamond Brand. Originally sewn in NC, then moved across the pond, and tehn dies. I sold them as an alternative to Eureka Timberlines in the late 70s - pole systems were more advanced, quality marginally better at the time. Good tents!

Jim

Yellow is the color
of yuppies?

“Muffy, shall we take the yellow Beemer or the yellow Range Rover to the tennis club?”

Jim