Partial List of kayak related events in the Hudson Valley and beyond

Here is a partial list of kayak related events in the Hudson Valley and Beyond. I try to include enough info in my notes to enable a goggle search for myself and/or others if interested in further information. Except for the kayak team during the Kingston Classic, I don’t coordinate any of the events on this early spring list. During 2018, I expect to update this list monthly starting in June, and possibly more frequently as time allows on the free yahoo group: KingstonPaddlePals. I hope this list helps others with kayak social networking as much as it helps me plan my paddles. I hope to see some of you on the Rondout Creek/Hudson River, or on the walk/run during the Kingston Classic 4/22. Diane Dintruff

March 22nd, 2018 at 5:30 PM Rondout Creek Summit at the Rondout Municipal Center, 1915 Lucas Avenue, Cottekill, NY 12419

Saturday, March 31, 11am - 5pm, SWIFT CANOE & KAYAK Day at Collinsville, CT

April 10 Wallkill River Alliance Summit, SUNY New Paltz 5:30- 8:30pm. theme: Recreation

April 13-15, 2018 Kenco Truck load kayak sale

April 21st 9-11:30 am Wallkill Clean Sweep on river and land am

April 22 Kingston Classic Run/Walk, or paddle? Join other kayakers on the 2 mile walk/run along the Rondout Creek by electing team “Kayakers” and entering the
password “Kayak” at www.kiwaniskingstonclassic.com. Paddling the Rondout from Sleightsburg to the Eddyville dam is approximately an on-water 10K, the distance of the longer Classic walk/run route that continues along the Rondout to the Hudson River.

April 27-29 Stay and Play Weekend at Fishers Island Sound (Mystic Seaport, Groton area) with Prime Paddlesports (I did this last year, wonderful accommodations and experience)

April 28 - Schoharie Valley with River Connection and Capital District Kayakers meet ups (I’m going to see a new place. They report 140 participated last year, can’t imagine how they handled so many)

April 28 - Wappingers Water Derby

April 28-29 Collinsville Ct CAnoe and Kayak Demo & Consignment Sale Weekend

April 28-29 Brigantine Wildlife Refuge (NJ Pine Barrens) with Atlantic Kayak Tours

May 5 Riverkeeper’s Sweep

May 5 Paddle under walkway with River Connection Meetup

May 5 & 6 Saratoga Paddlefest & Outdoor Expo 2018 on Fish Creek in Saratoga Springs & 490 Broadway, Free Admission
Saturday: 9am to 6pm, Sunday: 10am to 5pm

May 6 New Paltz Regatta

May 18, 19 & 20 Adirondack Paddlefest & Outdoor Expo 2018 in Old Forge, New York, Fri.: 12pm to 6pm, Sat.: 9am to 6pm, Sun.: 10am to 5pm

MAY 26 @ 11 Pepactin Resevoir, Catskill Mountain club

6/3 Chesapeake East Neck Wildlife Refuge with River Connection meetup

June 9-10 Kenco’s Kingston Kayak Festival

June 16-17 Path Through History Weekend

June 16 -17 Great Hudson Clearwater Revival, Croton Point Park

June 22-24, 2018 The 27th Annual WoodenBoat Show - Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT

June 29-July 1 Zoar Outdoor Demofest & American Whitewater Festival (NW Ma.)

June 29-July 7th Paddle Against Addiction - 7 day canoe trip on Wallkill river from Vernon NJ to New Paltz, NY. $60 includes meals, water, supplies, t shirt, and logistics.

Thu Jul 5 at 7 PM to Sun Jul 8 at 11 AM
Hudson Valley Paddlesport Symposium in Cold Spring, New York

July 14 (tentative) Wallkill Waterfront Alliance Tire Pull July 14

Thu Jul 5 at 7 PM to Sun Jul 8 at 11 AM Hudson Valley Paddlesport Symposium

Saturday, August 4, 2018, 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Manhattan Circumnavigation,

Sunday, August 19 at 12 PM. Soap Box Derby (land event at Rondout) Float Box Derby anyone?

September Weekends Hudson River Valley Ramble

September 8, 2018, Kayaking 4 Meso is scheduled for Saturday,

October 6-8 Path Through History Week

Here’s an update… 2018 KingstonPaddlePals-May Update

Hi all,

Here is a partial list of 2018 kayak related events in the Hudson Valley and Beyond, followed by a number of useful websites and apps for finding paddling buddies and information…please let me know if you know of others. I’ll update as time allows.

Several meet ups have started up despite the chilly water…looks like the Hudson Valley Hikers and the Trailsweepers plan Tuesday paddles; the MH-ADK 2rd and 4th thrusday paddles, and the Malden Yacht Club several per week (Please post or send me a email if you know when the Malden Yacht Club paddles). We’ll start KingstonPaddlePals’ Monday am paddles in June.

The free Ulster County senior Picnic at Post Park is on a Thrusday (June 21) this year and reservations are required (845-340-3456) if you want to attend. I hope a few of you are interested in paddling to the picnic again.

As always…please post on KPP (kingstonpaddlepals@yahoogroups.com) when you want paddling company or hear of any Kayak-related news, or send me an email and I’ll try to add to the list.

Diane

May 1 Black Creek from 299 @ 5pm with Hudson Valley Hikers meetup

May 5 Riverkeeper’s Sweep, Wappinger’s Creek with Russ, anytime roughly 10-2, 117 Market Street, Wappingers Falls

May 5th (Saturday) Riversweep event with Wallkill River Watershed Alliance, details on their facebook page

May 5 Paddle under walkway with River Connection Meetup

May 5 & 6 Kayak Center of Rhode Island demo weekend @ North Kingstown Town Beach off of Route 1A 10-4 both days (No sales tax)

May 7 Tivoli Bays with Trailsweepers

May 6 New Paltz Regatta

May 18, 19 & 20 Adirondack Paddlefest & Outdoor Expo 2018 in Old Forge, New York, Fri.: 12pm to 6pm, Sat.: 9am to 6pm, Sun.: 10am to 5pm

May 20 Great Swamp from Patterson with Trailsweepers

May 20 “Try Simsbury” Adventure Triathlon

May 20th (Sunday) scout the tire pull, event details on Wallkill River Watershed Alliance facebook page

MAY 26 @ 11 Pepacton Reservoir, Catskill Mountain club

6/3 Chesapeake East Neck Wildlife Refuge with River Connection meetup

June 9-10 Kenco’s Kingston Kayak Festival

June 10th (Sunday) Orange Kayak Trip (A. Morris Lead) event details on Wallkill River Watershed Alliance facebook page

June 16-17 Path Through History Weekend

June 17th (Sunday) Ulster Kayak Trip (R. Ferri Lead) event details on Wallkill River Watershed Alliance facebook page

June 16 -17 Great Hudson Clearwater Revival, Croton Point Park

Thrusday June 21 noon Ulster County Free Senior Picnic at Post Park
(reservations required 845-340-3456) KPP will launch somewhere TBD at 10 (high tide= 8:41 am; low tide 3:33 pm)

June 22-24, 2018 The 27th Annual WoodenBoat Show - Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT

June 29-July 1 Zoar Outdoor Demofest & American Whitewater Festival (NW Ma.)-Free instruction: white water focus, clinics that teach basic skills that transfer to touring, e.g. rolling, body mechanics, bracing, reading water, etc.

June 29-July 7th Paddle Against Addiction - 7 day canoe trip on Wallkill river from Vernon NJ to New Paltz, NY. $60 includes meals, water, supplies, t shirt, and logistics.

Thu Jul 5 at 7 PM to Sun Jul 8 at 11 AM
Hudson Valley Paddlesport Symposium in Cold Spring, New York

July 14th (Saturday) Tire Pull, event details on Wallkill River Watershed Alliance facebook page

Thu Jul 5 at 7 PM to Sun Jul 8 at 11 AM Hudson Valley Paddlesport Symposium

Saturday, August 4, 2018, 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Manhattan Circumnavigation,

August 12th (Sunday) Orange Kayak Trip (A. Morris Lead), event details on Wallkill River Watershed Alliance facebook page

August 19th (Sunday) Ulster Kayak Trip (R. Ferri Lead), event details on Wallkill River Watershed Alliance facebook page

Sunday, August 19 at 12 PM. Soap Box Derby (land event at Rondout) Float Boat Derby anyone??

8/24-30/18 Camping Burlingame State Park, Charlestown, RI with Hudson Valley and Beyond meetup

September Weekends Hudson River Valley Ramble

September 8, 2018, Kayaking 4 Meso is scheduled for Saturday

September 16th (Sunday) (depending on weather), event details on Wallkill River Watershed Alliance facebook page

October 6-8 Path Through History Weekend

October 14th (Sunday) (depending on weather), event details on Wallkill River Watershed Alliance facebook page

info websites

paddling.com world wide launch site map, paddling buddies, and more

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/rt

HRECOS.org Hudson river environmental conditions observation system

Magic Seaweed - or website -surf forecast wind

Boating USA by Navionics

MarineTraffic

info FREE APPS :

Go Paddling by Paddling.com

find ship

Flows…Water in motion; i.e., flowing in streams, canals, pipe- lines, and ditches, is measured in units of volume per unit of time—gallons per minute (gpm), cubic feet per second (cfs), acre-inches per hour and acre feet per day.

SailFlow…wind (mph), wind gusts(mph), wind direction & wave height

Magic Seaweed - or website -surf forecast wind

Daily Doppler…

info cost apps

$ 4.99 MarineTraffic.com wind point id

Free apps for finding paddling buddies

Bvddy (iOS)

FitMatch (iOS & Android)

Websites for finding paddling buddies

https://www.discoveroutdoors.com

https://www.meetup.com/members/8786842/

https://forums.paddling.com/categories/getting-together-going-paddling

Darn, I was in Saratoga last weekend and didn’t know about the Fish Creek Paddlefest (I often kayak that Hudson feeder when I visit family up there.) Hope they had a good turnout despite the wind and chilly rain that weekend.