Passat G3 Sea Kayaker Mag review anyone have the review?

Looking for Sea Kayaker Magazine review if they ever did one. Thanks.

Well, there’s a one-line review at Amazon - which sells Seward kayaks. Free shipping for Prime members. Amazon will even gift wrap it.

https://www.amazon.com/Seaward-Kayaks-Passat-Kevlar-Kayak/dp/B00PUB7NRW/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=X5PGE21FC5WFY8ARWABY

I am looking for review in past issue of Sea Kayaker Magazine if they ever did one. Thanks anyway.

It’s a really sweet boat, but fairly massive, 21 feet long and 100lbs to haul around. Very fast in the water, cruises easily at least 5 knots. Will leave fast solo paddlers in the dust. Comfortable west coast style outfitting, but you still have a lot of contact with the boat. Doesn’t feel any wider than the typical single by the cockpits. Comfortable high back seats, although they’d probably build it with backbands if you prefer. West coast style neoprene covers under glass hatches. Huge center hatch that will swallow up a five gallon water container and then a ton of equipment. It’s really suited to longer expedition style paddling, a bit overkill for day trips, but that’s just my opinion. Mostly because it’s no fun to move around solo, and cartopping it sucks. Bomber layup, but as far as I can tell not vacuumed, so on the heavier side.

Use to BIG! I have a Current Designs Libra XT 22" X 32" 100 lb. also. I get it up on my Ford Excursion fairly easy. It’s 7’10" high I think. Libra is great but was looking for faster cruise. Libra averages 3.5 -3.8 with wife. Thanks for your input. Would go with Kevlar if I by new. Will talk about weights with seaward they don’t vaccum bag…

@PaddleDog52 said:
Libra averages 3.5 -3.8 with wife.

So, is it the boat that needs exchanged or … :wink:

LOL no she is the best ever. All my friends envy me. Spoiled to no end. She just gets bit mad as I sit in back of tandem and critic her stroke.

Hard part is getting it to street over garden beds.

If I were you, I’d ask Seaward when the SK review ran - they mention it on the G3 webpage and may be able to send you a copy. If you find out the issue number and they don’t have it, I may be able to send it, but I don’t have time to look through all those back issues.

@carldelo said:
If I were you, I’d ask Seaward when the SK review ran - they mention it on the G3 webpage and may be able to send you a copy. If you find out the issue number and they don’t have it, I may be able to send it, but I don’t have time to look through all those back issues.

I did ask Steven and he said he was not sure if they did a review but it was a great kayak. Seemed odd if someone reviewed my best selling kayak I would not know or have copies. Also ask Seaward dealer in FL (only dealer in USA) if they rented them in their fleet and he never answered that question either sadly. Figured if I went to FL to visit friends or condo I could drop by there and rent before purchasing. Hard to drop 5 grand plus site unseen for a new kayak. If I could find one used and didn’t like it I am not taking a bath like buying new and then selling it. I can’t find one around NY to try or even look at. I love my Current Designs Libra tandem figured one a bit faster would be nice. I have been looking on eBay at back issues to see if I can buy review in back issues for sale for a year at least. I think I posted this same request here a year or more back. Even my Libra was hard to find around here to look at or buy. Found one then they changed their mind before I got there. I looked for 2 years. After that I said screw it then looked a day or two later and found one 3-4 hours away. Seems all the tandems are in Canada or upper Midwest. The Libra cruises for me at 3.4 mph max just under 6 mph top speed for any distance 1/10 under. Sometimes I think I am nuts for probably another 1.5 mph but I have been performance oriented my whole life with motorcycles, road race cars and offshore power boat racing catamarans.

Edit after reading the link you recommended which I have read before I do see the review was July 1999. So I guess I’ll keep searching for it and a Passat anywhere in a long drive in near by states.

Turns out it’s in the Aug 99 issue. I scanned the review and can email it, not sure how to do that in this new format. If you get me an email address or tell me how to do it via this page I’ll send it along…

Wow many many thanks will send you email feel like I won lotto.

Sent you my email thanks on this forum as a message.

Carl thanks so much for the information you supplied and the time it took you. You are close to me 20 minutes or so, may be we will paddle together one day. Possibly in a Passat G3. Carl was concerned about copyright infringement. So I will not post it here. If anyone else has an interest in this kayak I would be glad to pass on the info.

I’ll grab a copy if it’s still available. Thanks

please send me your email through private message on this forum. Thanks

sent info> @Johnnysmoke said:

I’ll grab a copy if it’s still available. Thanks

how tall are you? They say it fits up to 6’ person

I’m 6’2, but have seen a buddy who is 6’5 get in no problem.

Good I am 6 feet so leg room should be no problem.