Perception Catalina just for women?

I’m interested in buying a used Perception Catalina (14ft) at a great price to replace my slow Necky Manitou 13. I can’t find any details about it anywhere online. I’m assuming it’s an older discontinued model. Is it for women, children, or smaller paddlers? It looks like it would be tight even for a 5’10"- 180lbs guy like me. Can anyone tell me how wide and deep it is? Also what the max weight is? The reviews here don’t say much about the stats and I just don’t see much about it after an extensive web search. Thanks.

If I recall
If I recall correctly, the Catalina was the forerunner to the early version of the Carolina 13.5, which I own. It’s listed at 23 inches wide and not very deep - mine measures around 10 inches. It would hold your weight without a problem; my owner’s manual says maximum load is 275. It’s an ok boat, if you can get it cheap enough. Just make sure your thighs can fit under the braces!

Gnatcatcher

Thanks for the info

– Last Updated: May-08-08 12:19 PM EST –

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I can fit under the braces, but its tight and Id rather take em off. Id have a hard time wearing sneakers and operating the rudder pedals, but I'll just get some aqua socks. The boat is kinda dirty, but in good shape and easy to clean. It wasn't used very much and I'm thinking $500 for the boat with rudder and carbon paddle is a fair price...

Perception Catalina- NOT just for women
I’ve enjoyed my Catalina for years now and it fits just great! Here’s something for fit tho, I’m 5.2 and friends that are 5.8 do not enjoy the fit of my kayak. The original size (the Carolina) is for tall/large/adults. The Catalina was designed for the smaller paddler. The Catalina is responsive and fun. With the 5.10 listed, I would suggest the Carolina as you may not find the Catalina to your liking.

Catalina Specs

LENGTH 13’9" / 419 cm

WIDTH 23-1/2" / 60 cm

DRY STORAGE 5500 cu. in. / 90 liters

WEIGHT 49 lbs / 22 kg

COCKPIT 33"L x 20"W / 84 cm L x 51 cm W

PADDLER LEVEL beg. - adv.

MAX. LOAD 275 lbs / 125 kg

WITH THE CAPTIVA, BIGGER PADDLERS GOT TO EXPERIENCE THE FUN OF THE CAROLINA. SO WE FIGURED IT WAS TIME TO GIVE SMALLER PADDLERS A CHANCE. THUS, THE CATALINA.

AT 13’9" AND A MEASLY 49 POUNDS, IT’S EASY TO CARRY AND A CINCH TO CARTOP. ON THE WATER, ITS LENGTH (OR LACK THEREOF) MAKES IT VERY MANEUVERABLE. PLUS, IT TRACKS TRUE WITHOUT THE LEAST BIT OF EFFORT. AND WHEN IT COMES TO STORAGE, IT CAN HOLD ITS OWN AND THEN SOME.

HEY, JUST BECAUSE YOU’RE SMALL DOESN’T MEAN

YOU’RE GOING TO CARRY ANY LESS THAN THE AVERAGE PADDLER. RIGHT?