Perception - Customer Service

Has anyone been able to get help from Perception when they bought a Kayak with a manufacturing defect?

I called Perception because my new Carolina Airalite 14.5 had over a dozen dimples on the hull. Perception’s customer service department told me that they couldn’t help me, and that I had to call the boat shop that I purchased the Kayak from. The shop owner told me that Perception was completely on unresponive to him as well.

the store…
I would think the store should be taking your kayak back since they shouldn’t have sold a boat with dimples in it in the first place. In turn, its there responsibility to get you the replacement in the intended new condition it should be in. The store should have reported the dimples upon inspection when it recieved it in stock and/or before it sold it to you.

Dump it on their service desk

– Last Updated: Nov-23-05 3:10 PM EST –

Phones are useless. Go show them you're serious.

Go in, put the darn thing in the way. Nobody is interested in helping you in a polite and discrete way. Your only option is to use a polite and overt tactic. Block the aisles with it. Put it down in the most inconvenient location you can, while still being close to the service desk. The first words out of your mouth are, "I need to speak to the manager or the shift supervisor or someone who can return my cash, please."

You did not do business with Perception. You did business with a retail store. The legal premise that takes precidence is "res ipsa loquitor", the thing speaks for itself. Never suggest litigation, it's a dare. The premise is offered to demonstrate your position of power in this negociation, and too many retaillers like to say "caveat emptor dude." It's obviously busted.

The relationship between the manufacturer and the retail store is none of your business. If you sell me a broken thing, where you got it is of no concern to me.

Are you prepared for the question that might suggest some culpability on your behalf? So, how did you come to leave the store with an obviously damaged product? They're going to ask and suggest that your window of opportunity has closed. Not true. The laws in North America give preference to the consumer. There is at least as much an onus on the retailler to ensure that the condition of the stock is declared as a part of the sale as there is for you to inspect it.

Make it more of a hassle to refuse you than it is to accomodate. If they have a proper model in stock, then they don't lose any money and everyone walks away with an honest deal. It may not be preferable to you, I know I would just want my money and go spend it somewhere else. If it makes their bitter pill more palatable and all you really want is what you paid for, then it's only pride at stake. Bullshit walks.

Do it on a day when you have lots of time.

Anyone planning on buying a Perception now?

Hey Preacher, stop kidding
around and tell us what you REALLY think. LOL

By the way, how’s the weather up there in Alaska?

Cheers!

Already got 1,
and happy with it. Everyone can make a defective product. Sometimes ya gotta squeek that wheel to get it greased.

If you want Customer Service…
…and Quality Control buy from a smaller builder who gives a damn. The reality is these huge corporations are not about service, they’re about the bottom line.

Confluence Water Sports is a mega-corp that manufactures the following labels: Wilderness Systems, Perception, Dagger, Wavesport, Adventure Technology, Mad River, Harmony, Mainstream. The big bosses in the board-room at CWS don’t give a damn about you - you’re just a marketing statistic to them, a source of revenue. CWS uses these well-known brand names to draw you in – like a fish on a line. While they may have been good products once they are just “labels” now – labels to actively avoid in my humble opinion.

As to your problem, here’s my two cents worth: assuming these dimples were not visible to you when you accepted this boat and assuming you haven’t use the boat yet and scratched it up I’d say take it back to where you got it and demand your money back – simple as that. If the dealer is an honest broker he’ll treat you fairly. If not, well, spread the word. If the dimples were visible when you accepted the boat and/or you’ve scratched it up – well, that’s on you isn’t it?

do these dimples…
…look like they are from the manufacturing process or perhaps shipping damage?

If they are an appearance issue only, maybe just ask for an adjustment?

I know when I dealt with Perception (then Watermark) customer service they were very helpful (even sent me repair material for free).

As an aside, my airalite boat has a curious blemish on the seam (where deck is seamed to hull) that looks like a heat fusion weld mark. I don’t think it was caused by physical impact.

Haha!
You don’t wanna know what I think! Honestly, when faced with inaction and finger pointing, being a pest can get results. One of my favorite tactics is to tie up as many employees as possible. The guy who sold the unit, the guy at the service desk, the shift supervisor, the store manager. All working for someone who isn’t spending any money. heeeheeee!

The weather here in Toronto is…seasonal. We just got our first real snowfall. A whopping inch or two. Shake it off folks! It’s gonna get worse.

I’m no lawyer

If the dimples were visible when you accepted the boat and/or you’ve scratched it up – well, that’s on you isn’t it?

I don’t think this matters. I’m not required to be fully knowledgable about everything I buy. A defect is not the responsibility of the consumer. Lemon laws and such. A twist of language and inflection can make a flaw sound like a benefit. I bought a new car with a discombobulated carberator, boooyeah! Totally discombobulated beeatch, this sled is teh shinit!

Perhaps he’s screwed if it was a reduced price as-is sale. That’s a warning light to be heeded.

Try this number and extension
1-800-445-3763 ext 247

This should take you to a lady named Emily.

She helped me!

Best of luck,

Linda

You could always buy my Perception
Acadia

“Preacher”
I feel if I accept something and am aware it’s defective then it’s “on me” – I should have no beef with the dealer or builder. I also think if I accept a product, put it to use (scratch it up in the case of a canoe) then the dealer shouldn’t have to take back an obviously “used” product at full value. Lemon laws are great for protecting consumers from hidden damage, but that hardly covers the scenarios I described. I’m not a lawyer either, that’s just ethical behavior the way I see it, simple as that. Randall

Suggestion, if you really want help
go to the dealer with the product in hand. bring your receipt. ask to speak to the manager although i do not think this is needed usually. the dealer should take digital photos and the serial number off the boat. they should forward this info to the factory. since the boat is not at the factory for first hand inspection, they need the dealer to give their proffesional opinion. the fact that the factory told you to go to the dealer is not a move to blow you off. there are many logistics involed behind the curtain that make it difficult to deal direct with the end user. if in fact the factory determins your issue is a manufacturing defect, they will stand behind the product. the dealer took your money, and should be happy to work a little for it. treat the staff the way you would expect someone to treat you when you walk in the door and i’m sure they will do everything in their power to take care of you.