Perception Essence ???

I saw this kayak in the in-store catalog at REI, but I can’t find it on their website or anywhere else, not even the perception website. Does anyone here know about this particular kayak, if so, what style is it (i.e.…Greenland, British). Any information would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I am looking for one made of poly, and I live in Atlanta, Ga, in case anyone knows where I can find one here.

well now…
I helped design it, if that helps.

It’s a Brit style, 17X23 or 16.5X22 (2 sizes) better tracking than a Tempest, not as maneuverable. skeg with rudder option. great stability curves, more initial and 2nd than Tempest but still very EZ to edge. Loves rough stuff but not as much as a T. Better at going straight and knocking off miles than a T.

will be available in roto and Airlite prolly be in dealers hands towards May.

help?

steve

full time CWS R/D team player

Had to smile

– Last Updated: Mar-28-08 12:23 PM EST –

at the "better tracking than a Tempest". Coming from an Avocet, the Tempest feels like a tracking machine(until you edge), and I find it hard to imagine wanting something that tracked better.

If we were all the same it'd be a boring old world. ;-)

Thx
Well, I guess that pretty much sums things up…Thanks

Tempest & Essence
Flatpick, I could see your influence all over the Essence the day I saw it’s profile. I wrote you a few years ago before purchasing my Tempest 170 pro, as I noticed you on an Oregon website paddling the boat. You were kind enough to answer all my questions. I have to praise your design skills, I will NEVER part with my Tempest. It is hands down the best boat I’ve ever paddled.

Yesterday I ordered an Essence from REI for my Michigan winter paddling/camping trips. I fully expect it to be as exceptional as my Tempest has been. Can you come join me at Ford to design us out of the predicament we are currently in?

Peace… Jamie Mink (voodoohippie)

kayaking wheelchair user

Hi, i have been using perception kayaks for the past 12 years. starting with a Kiwi then on to an arcadia and then i purchased a carolina about 8 years ago. as an indevidual with a disabilty,{ i am a wheelchair user} balance is always an issue. however having kayak the shannon river here 4 times a total of over 1000 kilometers i am looking for a new challange. a number of us here in spinal injuries ireland are planning to kayak from dunlaoire to holyhead across the irish sea next year. we are looking to optimise our chance by getting the most out of our kayaks. my question is,seen as you were involved in designing the essence kayak, compared to my old carolina how does the Essence compare for balance. To put it in context i have tried a perception sealion but found it too tippy. i am hoping that the essence might fall between the old verion of the carolina and the sealion. regards, colm

perception essence
Hi, i have been using perception kayaks for the past 12 years. starting with a Kiwi then on to an arcadia and then i purchased a carolina about 8 years ago. as an indevidual with a disabilty,{ i am a wheelchair user} balance is always an issue. however having kayak the shannon river here 4 times a total of over 1000 kilometers i am looking for a new challange. a number of us here in spinal injuries ireland are planning to kayak from dunlaoire to holyhead across the irish sea next year. we are looking to optimise our chance by getting the most out of our kayaks. my question is,seen as you were involved in designing the essence kayak, compared to my old carolina how does the Essence compare for balance. To put it in context i have tried a perception sealion but found it too tippy. i am hoping that the essence might fall between the old verion of the carolina and the sealion. regards, colm