Perception Odyssey 11.5

I am a new kayaker. Only been 4 times. Lakes, rivers, streams, easy recreational paddling only. Found two new (used 2x) Perception Odyssey 11.5 for $250 each, including paddles. Reviews look good. In my price range. Opinions? Hoping for encouragement that these r good for a starter.

Not looking for longer than 11.5. And want an open seating area. Prefer the rotomolded too.

I am so excited to get these.

At that price, you can’t go wrong but I’d wonder why they are getting rid of them.
You should be able to get your money back if you want to move them along.
My first kayak was a 12’ Perception Acadia and it took me anywhere I wanted to go. From mild WW to salt water bays. Get a bilge pump and wear your PFD.

That kayak could be purchased for $399 new, so $250 is an Ok price, but not a great price.

They were for his sons who lost interest quickly. Price includes paddles. He has j racks but my car, a 2010 Hyundai Tucson, has a naked roof. Help! What do I get so I can transport two kayaks with those j racks? Trying to find used.

@Szunflower said:
They were for his sons who lost interest quickly. Price includes paddles. He has j racks but my car, a 2010 Hyundai Tucson, has a naked roof. Help! What do I get so I can transport two kayaks with those j racks? Trying to find used.

Keep trying

The J-racks require cross bars to be used. Specifically cross bars of the shape that the J-rack’s mounts would fit on (many fit all shape cross bars, but not all do).

Most people when they first get a kayak and want to go cheap get either an inflatable rack or foam block rack and put it right on the roof of the car. Definitely use bow and stern lines if you do this.

You will need some sort of rack to carry two boats. The cross bars need to be about 66 inches to carry the boats flat. Here is a link to a great way to add a cross bar in any car https://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/wonderbar.php

@rnsparky said:
You will need some sort of rack to carry two boats. The cross bars need to be about 66 inches to carry the boats flat. Here is a link to a great way to add a cross bar in any car https://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/wonderbar.php

The Wonderbar looks pretty good.

The one problem with the strap passing through the inside of the car is when it rains water will saturate the strap and start dripping inside the car.

OK, why two boats? I may have missed something but I thought this was just you. So you are really talking about $500… Go $100 more and you could get one of their starter tour kayaks new. Though I don’t advise buying new for you at this point.

Agree with above, trying to carry two boats of that length probably puts you into a rack system that will cost about the same as another boat unless you always have someone to help you load the boats. That means at least towers and two cross bars to put onto the car, upon which you can foam pads or something like Jbars. You have a low enough roofed car that you may be able to slide the first 11.5 ft boat up by yourself onto foam pads on a bare roof. But you would have to secure the first boat before adding the second, and w/o a rack I am thinking the second would be blocked by the straps holding the first boat.

So a second boat on a bare roof may mean you always have someone with you. FYI, I have loaded two boats myself at times when meeting up with a relative non-paddler for a pond excursion.