Perception paint fade

Been looking for a good all round with storage for camping trips
Found a Percep Carolina 14.5 for $300 !
The front half of the kayak has faded to white. Yet from the seat to stern still has its orignal blue.
Its almost liek it was the paint scheme for this model !

During my weeks long kayak search I called Current Designs Cust Ser about this issue on one of their models I saw for sale
They said that kayak paint fade isnt damaging .
but I’ve read alot,! that says its step one to plastic degradation from UV

So in looking at this Percep Carolina what do I need to ck /do to make sure its not beyond use ?

Pics are of the actual craft for sale

That’s what it’s supposed to look like. Seaspray blue. https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/kayaks/carolina-140

I think Rookie is right. Too uniform for sun fade. The deck bungees need replacing.

Not painted, it’s the colors of the various plastic pellets used.

A…it’s not paint…it is the color in the plastic
B. I’ve never seen one fail so I don’t know what that would look like, maybe. Look for cracks, crazing, wrinkles, areas of weakness (knock) .
C. Sometimes you can buff it up with a cleaner polisher.
D. Paint…I use Krylon Fusian in a rattle can for my plastic boats.

PS…it’s only $300 of a now new $1,000 boat.

Buy the boat unless the hull has holes.

Thanks for the replies …Should have said ‘color fade’ .
I wasnt sure if it was the color scheme or not since it was really even.
But doesnt bother me at all and yup $300 is not bad price. Maybe a little pinstriping to jazz it up a bit
Now to find a used rudder assembly since the brand new ones are like 300 bucks…ugh.

You do not need a rudder on that boat unless you are paddling in serious wind or current.
It is a straight tracking boat easily turned with a paddle.

Understood … but future plans call for Lake Powell trips where the wind can whip up so a rudder will be a nice add on at some point. Though I have good paddle skills from my years of canoeing big lakes.

@Sturoc said:
Understood … but future plans call for Lake Powell trips where the wind can whip up so a rudder will be a nice add on at some point. Though I have good paddle skills from my years of canoeing big lakes.

I agree with you on the rudder.
I have them on my kayaks, and wouldn’t be without one.
I can and do paddle all day long without using it, but in a strong quartering wind it sure gets used

Fade patterns were very common for roto-molded kayaks. Different colors of polyethylene powder were placed in the front and back of the roto-mold and the color blended together somewhere in the middle.