Perception Prodigy skid plate

Bought a well used Prodigy 12’. I like it quite a bit, but realized the previous owner fit a replacement skid plate that doesn’t fit very well. It sticks out about a 1/2" below the V of the hull. I am going to try to make a replacement and wondered if anyone has made one from wood and if so how it went. Thinking oak or cedar with spar varnish. Photo shows the incorrect one which appears to be for Wilderness Systems boats.

Have you looked at keel guard tape. @Craig_S recently applied it to his kayaks. Don’t know how it holds up.

High density plastic would hold up better. Wood that thin and narrow would crack along the screw holes.

The correct size is 1/2" x 1 1/8" x 6, think 1/2" is too thin? I may have a scrap of plastic though, I need to check my shed.

You can find other sources, that was just a good price and looked adequate. The plate doesn’t have to protrude so far below the keel, and you could double the thickness, letting it overlap further in front of the present plate.

I had a piece of HDPE scrap that was big enough so I was able to make one to fit, thanks for the suggestions too!

1 Like