perception prodigy

Hi would like feedback as am looking for a more advanced kayak . I have a old town otter and need something for an intermediate small kayaker.

I assume you’re talking about the
12.0, as the 10.0 could not possibly be an advance.

But why not go to a 14 foot touring kayak? I have an old Necky Looksha Sport, 14.5’, that is quite maneuverable and would run an Otter or Prodigy into the ground. The Looksha Sport is no longer sold, but you could look at the Manitou or the new Looksha 14, or several others. If you’re going to make a step up, make it a definite step.

I suppose the question would be what the
intended use was. I learned quickly here that most tend to do sea or lake kayaking.

I suppose the question would be what the
intended use was. I learned quickly here that most tend to do sea or lake kayaking.

A few things

– Last Updated: May-16-10 7:34 AM EST –

Nothing in the Prodigy line is an apt fit for a small paddler who wants to advance beyond intermediate, or even into intermediate by my thoughts about what that means. They are both recreational kayaks, with cockpits that are way to huge to be useful contact for a small person, and really aren't designed to make learning intermediate strokes etc easy. (If you look at the organizations like the ACA or the BCU that provide training in kayaking, you'll see that intermediate level includes a decent array of strokes - turning, draws, good braces and at least progress towards a roll for flat water, ocean or white water kayaking. Also some decent competence in out-of-the-boat self-rescues for sea kayaking.)

For what you say you want, you need to be looking at least in the Touring kayak group for flat water. Usually two bulkheads, smaller cockpits, thigh braces you can hit with your thighs (rather than knees). Since you are looking at Perception, the Tribute 12 may be a place to start (if you factor in the cost of a big float bag for the front - I only see one bulkhead). I think that the deck height is still too high for a small paddler, but small is pretty subjective.

That all said, a significant amount of paddling around Stonington CT is in Long Island Sound, or at a river mouth that probably gets interesting at tide changes. So depending on your paddling plans, a full sea kayak (and some work on your part to learn bracing and a roll) might be in order.

As to groups in your area, you should look at the web site for ConnYak. http://www.connyak.org/ More distant, but worth keeping track of for boats as well as clinics and ad hoc training, is North Shore Paddlers Network (http://www.nspn.org).

Re boats, these clubs that are within reach of you are a good resource to get into more boat (used) that will support your advancing your skills. If you really want to move your paddling along, the right boat is more important than a shiny new one. ConnYak classifieds has a Necky Looksha Sport LV for $600. I suspect that's no more than a considerably less featured new Prodigy.