Perception Sport Conduit 13

-- Last Updated: Sep-07-13 3:41 PM EST --

formerly Dagger Catalyst.

As I'm sure some of you know I have been looking to upgrade from my current kayak and I think I have come to a decision but I would just like some input to make sure I'm making a good purchase.

I have decided on the Conduit for several reasons, 1)Price, I don't want to nor can I afford to spend a lot of money and from my craigslist searches I haven't really found a boat that would suit my needs, either other 10 foot rec boats like I already have or 16 foot sea kayaks that I don't have much use or interest in (no offense to anybody).

2)Safety I like that it has the bow and stern bulkheads, not only does that make me feel safer but should I decide to go on longer trips I have that option.

3)Length, it's a little longer than what I was aiming for buy only by a foot and the ability to go faster and straighter is something I'm looking for.

If anyone has any negative opinions or suggestions please let me know, I just want to buy a good all around boat that will last me many seasons. I prefer inland lakes and river paddling. Also I'm 5'5" about 116lbs so if anyone has any sizing opinions I'd be interested in hearing them.

Width?

– Last Updated: Sep-07-13 9:14 PM EST –

This is a rather wide kayak at nearly 27". Unless you are an absolute beginner, I would go with something a bit narrower and designed for a smaller person, such as this:

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/light_touring/light_touring_tsunami/tsunami_sp_touring

Or even this:
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/touring_performance/touring_performance_tsunami/tsunami_135_touring

Or this:
http://liquidlogickayaks.com/inuit_13.cfm

Yours is essentially the old Dagger, I think:
http://dagger.com/products/discontinued_models/catalyst-13-0

Neither is featherlight - at over 50lb for a 13-14 footer, that's a bit excessive IMO, and I think you may feel it more off and on the water, as a smaller person. But the lighter models are more $$$...

Inner Turmoil lol
Thanks for your suggestions, I’ve actually been really torn between the Tsunami and the Conduit so I’m reassured to know I’m at least looking in the right realm of boats!

Tsunami
The Tsunami (any of the ones listed in the above post) have deck rigging which is line that goes around the permiter of the kayak that is NOT bungee type cord. It makes geting back into the kayak ALOT easyer should it tip over. The Conduit only has bungee cord on it. I have paddled with a few people that have the Conduit 13 from Dicks sporting goods.Its ok but it is rather wide.

The Conduit is less money but the Tsunami is just a better kayak. I have a Tsunami 140 for doing creeks and things like that. At least the Conduit has front and rear bulkheads which makes it a safer kayak than the really cheap kayaks that dont have sealed comparments. So if you short on cash then the Conduit 13 is ok but if you can swing a little more money you will be glad you did and get one of the Tsunami models which ever fits you best.

I Own A Conduit
and so far I love it.

But, to be honest I am new to kayaking and this is my first kayak. I use it in meandering creeks as well as on the Ohio River and it has been a great boat, especially for the value.

My reasoning for purchasing the conduit was simple. I wanted more of a boat for longer paddling trips than a 9’ or 10’ rec kayak, BUT I did not want to spend $1000 or more until I had spent much more time paddling to gain a feel of what I liked and did not like in any particular brand or style of kayak.

Also, I knew that for the money I would spend on this Conduit, it would be a great kayak to keep even if and when I upgrade to a “better” kayak, if only to use for fishing or to loan to a friend wanting to try out the sport.

Last weekend there was a major paddling outing on the Ohio which included paddling down to the locks, locking down, and paddling down and across the river to the next ramp downstream. This event was put on by the city with approximately 250 boats from what I heard and although it was not a race, I was able to hang right in and never felt like I had made a bad purchase.

I am sure there are many better kayaks out there at whatever price level one wants to spend, and I am sure there will be a longer and narrower kayak in my future as my river trips get longer and longer, but for the amount of money I spent on this kayak, I could not be happier.

Perimeter lines
If you are usually paddling alone you shouldn’t go any further without learning and practicing self-rescues. For someone at your quite small size and weight, that alone will go a long way in informing your choice. More so than any discussion here.

But at the least the boat you use, if paddling solo, should have proper perimeter lines.

Agree
I actually took a class this past summer for self rescue and have been making a point to practice when I go out, obviously close to shore and should something go really wrong. I also plan on taking refresher courses every year. Growing up in and living in Michigan my entire life I have a very good respect for the water.

As far as perimeter lines I have been looking for kits online as I also would like to put them on my rec boat. I plan on keeping the rec boat after upgrading so friends and family can use it too.

I really do appreciate everyone’s opinions. I’m about to start working seven days a week starting Friday and going through the beginning of November so my paddling season is pretty much over, unless I can find time this week. So I’ll have plenty of time to save up for and the perfect boat for me.

I have a Conduit 13
and it was a marked jump in performance from my Old Town Vapor 10.

As has been stated, it is not a true touring kayak, lacking in perimeter lines and being wide, but it is as light as most rec boats, nimble (especially when edged) and faster than any of the other kayaks on the lake where I paddle.

You won’t be disappointed, but remember that it isn’t a sea kayak if you try open water.