Permit for inflatable kayak - North NJ?

Hi all,

I need to know if I need any kind of registration/ permit for my inflatable 11’ kayak for North New Jersey lakes ?

From my searches it seems like there’s no need for a permit for inflatables, but I want some confirmation ?


you do not
need to register a non motorized inflatable that size

Ramp Maintenance Permit
Some reservoirs in NJ require a fishing license or Boat Maintenance Permit to park and use the waterway for recreation. For example Round Valley and the Assunpink Reservoirs require this. Although i wouldn’t really consider those in “North Jersey”.

A complete list and more information can be found at the bottom of the website listed below.

Permit for inflatable kayak - North NJ
Thanks bushwacker and packduckrock1! Sometimes I go to Harriman State Park in NY and it was actually the Palisades Interstate Park’s $30 fee requirement, even for inflatables, that made me really question the NJ rules for inflatables.

Quoting from their website:

“A PIPC (Palisades Interstate Park Commission) boat permit is required to operate any craft (including rentals from outside the Park) on any waters under the jurisdiction of the PIPC.”

Thirty dollars to go paddling; you’ve got to be kidding. What does it cost to take a walk–$50?

No kidding …
… It’s in the link above, and what’s more is that the permit is only valid for ONE season :frowning: Aha, haven’t tried walking there, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m charged for that too :slight_smile:

When I looked at the regs it seemed that by some interpretation, just about anything over 12 ft but a surfboard should be registered. My 16 ft canoe is most certainly not registered, I can’t say I know anyone that has registerd a canoe or yak. I don’t know if that particular tax just doesn’t get enforced.

Keep your PFD on and keep a low profile and perhaps they just leave you alone

That’s what I assumed - no fees/permit/registration for < 12" canoes/kayaks - which it could be true for most of NJ lakes, however PIPC (it includes Harriman State Park in NY) charges you for the permit of any craft, I even called them on the phone to confirm.

I could get lucky if I don’t get any permit, but I’m just gonna pay $30 and be done with it. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

No, but…
Some state run facilities have entrance fees, some require a fishing license or ramp permit. The Delaware river has a separate launch permit and, of course, fee. Some are free. County runs places may or may not have a fee. Enforcement is spotty at the smaller lakes. But there will be somebody checking at Round Valley on summer weekends.

Same experience
up here too, spotty checks here and there … Anyway now I have a better idea of what charges I should expect. Thanks a lot.