PFD help...

Weird PFD problem… I’m 5’6" and use a small/medium Extrasport RetroGlide. I put alotta waist into my paddling and the PFD has started to grind through my skin just above my belt line from all that twisting. This happened about a month ago during an extended outing on Lake Huron. Man, did that feel fine…

Two days ago it happened on the Allegheny Resevoir. Makes for extra spicy paddling. And I usually have some kind of garmet between me and the lower nylon strap on the PFD.

Anyhow, what I’d like is a PFD with at least one pocket that doesn’t ride as low. This might also help with water pooling around my spray skirt.

Any suggestions?..

PFD
Byron…Check out the Astral V-8 (reviewed on this site). It’s somewhat short to begin with, and is very comfortable worn high off the waist.

Good luck…

Thanks…
…for taking the time to reply. I’m gonna check it out as soon as I finish this post. Want a good deal on a used ExtraSport? :slight_smile:

check out the market…many others avail
Lots of PFDs out there…that’ll give you a good (ie comfortable to paddle in) fit…

I ordered an Astral…
…yesterday. Just wish that there was a place to try 'em on around here. Went with REI but they only had blue in stock. Would have prefered orange. Now if it shows up before the weekend, I’ll give it a try… maybe on Lake Erie… but that “water” has been known to disolve synthetics:).

As a side note, REI was selling the Delorme PN30 with maps, batteries, and a one gig SD card for a lousy $200 over the holiday. Seems like a very nice unit. Got a lock over in the Allegheny Nat Forest in just a few seconds. It got me to the first water access campsite. But unfortunately it didn’t inform me that every site was taken.

Such is life.

NRS
Has Astral Willis in orange, but that is water under the boat since you already ordered yours.

Too bad you didn’t look for a PFD earlier this year - I got rid of the Greenjacket, nice lower profile PFD. I even sold it locally :wink: